Ridiculous RoBo Requirements

I recently received a project requirement for making a Robot , Man............The guy lists some very ridiculous items to be achieved in under $5000 , well i can make 95% things for him work but then Money is to less , some of the eye grasping utilities he wants are as follow's:

-The robot must be able to roll back when the robber want to destroy it
-The robot must be able to detect fire and to use embedded
extinguisher for extinguish the fire.
The extinguisher muse have 2 liter of capacity and must be removable (AND.....he wants the 6 tyres on robot and must be able to climb stairs)

• The robot must be able to detect intrusion behind a wall. (X-RAY Vision :drooling_face: :* :grin:)
  • The system must record 1 month of continuous camera record(with 720 HD resolution he's demanding a 5min video counts to about 250 MB's so would need a damn very big SD card or even HardDisk).

THE WHOLE DETAILED requirement is attached.ALL he wants to achieve in maximum $5,000.

Autonomous_Robot.pdf (45.7 KB)

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

And I want a flying car for fifty cents.

By the way, since it certainly seems like it's specced ala DARPA, lol... Do you get any part of the obviously multi-thousand (possibly hundreds of thousands for acdeptable function.. Possibly reching into the millions)
dollar contract to build them? I've never seen a more blatant attempt to screw over a designer...lol...

Point him at the iRobot product catalog, and just have him look at what a simple cam and platform will run.

And that's just the hardware.

specced ala DARPA

Pretty True!

Do you get any part of the obviously multi-thousand (possibly hundreds of thousands for acdeptable function.. Possibly reching into the millions)
dollar contract to build them?

Ahan! NO part is being ordered! because his demands are like too much for the money he's paying , the development of possibly every way of wireless communication to the robot , even fitting intercom on it LOL.....,then WIMAX detailed setup then over it another GSM setup then internet protocols mess and then high reso.. camera wanting 1 month of recording to further ridiculous stuff he's asking forget ATmega's even the ARM uC's are going to have a hard time me being testing and re-programming them to find the exact functionality he's asking.

Point him at the iRobot product catalog, and just have him look at what a simple cam and platform will run

'

I think he badly needs this knowledge , This guys as per his requirements straight away tell me that he has no understanding of what is going in the robo technology world and where are the robots currently.
The BIGGEST thing is that this guy is not aware of the difference between SENSING and INTENTION's (given by he asked to make the robo roll back when somebody hits it to break it)

This spec is all over the map, but one (there are many, though) of the big things that stands out to me is how he wants this thing to be battery powered, yet run for 16 hours while climbing stairs and 45 degree hills, etc. The power requirements needed for this robot are going to be very large, if not huge. Almost certainly it would need to be a hybrid power plant (small engine gen-set), which obviously wouldn't be good for sneaking up on the bad guys). The fact that it must work in "human sized" spaces limits how large it can be, and what it could carry.

There's just so many contradictions that it couldn't be done - not with one robot (you wouldn't really want an engine gen-set inside a home, for instance). I could imagine a robot system (coupled with a good general alarm system), where you would have indoor and outdoor patrol robots, with off-site computation and storage (no need to carry all of that on each robot - that doesn't make sense anyhow; if the robot was destroyed, there goes any evidence).

$5K wouldn't even cut it for prelim research and design; never mind the implementation. But you know this already...

NI$HANT:
The BIGGEST thing is that this guy is not aware of the difference between SENSING and INTENTION's (given by he asked to make the robo roll back when somebody hits it to break it)

I could imagine a way to do this - but it wouldn't be easy. Basically, you would need to have some kind of "subsumption architecture" (Subsumption architecture - Wikipedia) for the robot, so that it was at an "alert status" as it went to find the bad guy (let's assume we have a system built and working - whatever the cost). When the bad guy is located, being in "alert mode" basically makes the robot stay away from any man-shaped object that moves. You would need some kind of vision system (probably IR based with illuminators - maybe IR thermal cameras), to get a "man shape" image pixel array of some sort. Then you would need some kind of intelligence (trained neural network or similar) to know what shapes are "man" and what shapes are "everything else". Once that was known, you would also want something to read "threatening moves" or "threatening posture"; this might include raised arms, and/or arms away from body - more ANN or similar processing via the vision system. Whichever, the idea would be to "move away".

None of this is trivial, of course. It would likely be very, very difficult to implement - and fraught with false positives, false negatives, and tons of other errors during development and implementation trials. I do think it would be possible, to an extent. At least, it seems like something within the realm of current technology, given enough money and time.

Much more money and time than the client has allotted, I'm afraid...

$5000, what a joke, it would cost that much to have a brainstorming session around a white board.

Stay well clear of this guy/project, it's just agro waiting to happen.

Rob

Then you would need some kind of intelligence (trained neural network or similar) to know what shapes are "man" and what shapes are "everything else". Once that was known, you would also want something to read "threatening moves" or "threatening posture"; this might include raised arms, and/or arms away from body - more ANN or similar processing via the vision system. Whichever, the idea would be to "move away".

Yes Mr.Crosh my brother also gave me the same advice but the problem here was that those moves one can make like that only, I mean somebody like the master of the robo or the owner may just like that make those moves(although they shouldn't but they actually do not have the intention to kill! it), I think alone this system will take in $2000-3000 to get developed ,hahahahaha!

$5000, what a joke, it would cost that much to have a brainstorming session around a white board.

Yes Mr. Rob you are pretty well right here, I think the reason for such sort of demands and low costing is the increased confidence these guys get on making their work done at the sites like freelancer.com where people fight/compete pretty hard to get the job so all this raises these sort of guys confidence that they start loading unreasonable demands on very low prices and hope to get accomplished the same.

I have a (non-computing) friend who got an entire VB.NET application written for $250 using freelancer.com, unbelievable and I can only assume the programmer was either retired and did it for fun or a student needing some lines on his resume.

The hidden cost was time, months and months for a first cut and every small change takes forever. Maybe he got a job and doesn't need the resume any more :slight_smile:

the owner may just like that make those moves(although they shouldn't

Anyone see Robocop?

Rob

I have a (non-computing) friend who got an entire VB.NET application written for $250 using freelancer.com

That's really true , I see people quoting the same there.

What you think should be the actual price I should give him to open his eyes to Reality ? in my mind i have some figure above $100K for all that functionality.

I really have no idea, $100k sounds like a good start to get a rudimentary proof of concept but this is the sort of thing that could blow out to millions I reckon.

There's stuff there (like the robot killing the owner because he scratched his arse in an aggressive manner) that probably hasn't been done by anyone yet. And as Cr0sh said, there are requirements that are either mutually exclusive or not possible with current technology.

I'd quote $10 million, and if you get the job I'll help you spend the money, I have very reasonable rates :slight_smile:

Rob

Reminds me of this: $725,000,000 Gundam ~ Pink Tentacle XD

There's stuff there (like the robot killing the owner because he scratched his arse in an aggressive manner) that probably hasn't been done by anyone yet.

hahahaaha, ya the same i was thinking of.

I'd quote $10 million, and if you get the job I'll help you spend the money, I have very reasonable rates

I think now he would be scratching his own arse ,, :smiley: :smiley: but then this is what he wanted! :stuck_out_tongue: Nevermind im going to quote him somewhere near $1-2 million leaving some things which aren't possible with current technology and see his A** jump :fearful:

$725,000,000 Gundam, and that's just for materials :slight_smile:

BTW, Ni$hant, "Real Men can Accomplish Anything", what are you a man or a mouse, you may have to modify you signature after this :slight_smile:

Rob

what are you a man or a mouse, you may have to modify you signature after this

Well Mr.Rob to strengthen the fact of me only a Man and not a Mouse i have shown my guts and put a reasonable price in million's :stuck_out_tongue: to that guy so i think i gave him a run for the project.

I think this is my favorite:

The robot must be able to detect vacuum.

while your at it, through this in:

The robot must have powerful Artificial intelligence

and dont forget:

I expect stylish robot

Tell him for an axtra 10k you can make it pole-dance :smiley:

oh and. Do you need an Intern?

Tell him for an axtra 10k you can make it pole-dance :smiley:

This is my Favourite hahahahhahaha!

and , Yes i quoted him $5 Million so he would now be found under some block.

Good! News that guy came back to me BUT this time with his sanity intact and asked me what all i can design in $5,000 $)

what all i can design in $5,000

The six wheels :slight_smile:

Rob

[quoteThe six wheels [/quote]

:wink:

Wrend:
Reminds me of this: $725,000,000 Gundam ~ Pink Tentacle XD

Cockpit $450,000

Man, that's a steal. The cockpits for off-shore drilling rigs run on the plus side of a million. And they have to be much less difficult to operate than that robot monstrousity.