12V GearMotor + Dual Motor Driver TB6612FNG

Hello everyone, I'm quite new to the arduino world... I'm currently attempting to set up my gear motor with its driver. To be honest I'm not sure where to start. I have the driver on the breadboard and that's as far as I've gotten. As a baby step... I would just like this motor to start spinning. Please help.

(Later I will be incorporating a photo resistor in order to measure the amount of light/voltage to pass through the motor)

Basically I need some help in order to figure out how to wire this baby. I have all my hardware and programming figured out... however I'm not so great at figuring how to put this all together. No laughing.. once again I'm new at this :\

Basically I need some help in order to figure out how to wire this baby.

I have all my hardware and programming figured out.

Sounds like you don't quite have all your hardware figured out.

Now, for my favorite mantra: Post link(s) to the hardware you are trying to use.

Don't make us hunt for what you might or might not have. Without links, we're not as inclined to try to help.

Thanks for the response :slight_smile: I currently have...

Motor: looks a lot like this.. however it only has positive and negative wires... and no decoder. Just a basic dc gear motor. 12v 19:1

Dual Motor Drive TB6612FNG Pololu - TB6612FNG Dual Motor Driver Carrier

Photo resistor

12v relay

Diode

transistor

Hopefully I have everything I need to get this motor running. (the photo resistor I want to incorporate later on... in order for the motor to differentiate when to spin according to the amount of light that goes into the resistor )

And of course the basic wires, breadboard and many other little gadgets. A basic outline for a starter would be amazing... to my surprise I can't even find a basic tutorial to get a dc gear motor running with an arduino.

A missing key parameter is how much current the motor will draw at the full mechanical load you will be applying to it. Only then will you know if that motordriver is suitable for your application or not.

Lefty

Here is a link with some spec:

Just found it :slight_smile: Hopefully this is helps..

Honestly the driver was recommended by the shop owner, it was hard to understand him since he spoke broken english however... from what I understood "this motor will not run without this driver". >.<

kamille008:
Here is a link with some spec:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1102

Just found it :slight_smile: Hopefully this is helps..

The key spec from that link is: "Key specs at 12 V: 500 RPM and 300 mA free-run, 84 oz-in (5 kg-cm) and 5 A stall."

So the motor can draw anywhere between 300ma and 5 amps, depending on the mechanical load you attach to it. The motor driver you selected has a 1 amp continous current spec, so you see the problem here? Unless you know what how much current your application will place on the motor worst case, that motor driver may be underpowered and could be damaged. So unless you can obtain that information you should be using a motor drive capable of supplying worst case stall current for the motor.

Lefty