Signature check atmega328p-u fails

Recently I made my own arduino (atmega328P-U). Everything worked so I soldered it. I watched multiple tutorials and saw the arduinoISP and the ArduinoToBreadboard page. Triple checked every connection on my board and to my programmer (arduino UNO R3 with old style wiring).

But dispite everything I do, the compiler says:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.
Error while burning bootloader.

I've tried desoldering the 16.000 clock with the 22pf capacitors and replaced them, but without succes.
I have another atmega that does work, but the only difference is that it is a "atmega328p-pu" instead of "...328p-u".

I've read that using -F isn't a good idea, so does anyone knows a solution?

Every help appreciated.

Hello there!

Are you able to see what device signature avrdude is getting?

Also, it may help if you provide a schematic of whatever wiring you have going, as well as any software you may have on any chips.

I haven't found a way to do so.

I used the wiring of the "arduino on breadboard" tutorial on the arduino playground.

I'm sorry, but i don't know about any software on the chip, but thanks for you quick reply

(deleted)

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader
  • After the process fails you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

a "atmega328p-pu" instead of "...328p-u"

There are "flavors" of the 328 processor and they have different signatures. The P-PU is the Pico Power variant used in the Uno (for one).

I use the MicroCore core to bootload the 328P-U chips.

groundFungus:
I use the MicroCore core to bootload the 328P-U chips.

I know this will have just been a brain fart, but for the sake of the OP's sanity- you use Minicore instead of MicroCore for the 328PU chips.

Thanks, BjHenry, MiniCore is right. And yes, a loud and stinky one, sorry.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

/Users/info/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino14/bin/avrdude -C/Users/info/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodem411 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Users/info/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/info/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/cu.usbmodem411
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega) (retrying)

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega) (retrying)

Error while burning bootloader.

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff (probably .avr8x_mega)
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

All zero or FF response usually points to HW problem: double check connections. But the response is different from your first post.

I've done a continuity test, but no shorts (at some points it displays a 0,5 between the 5v and ground). than i did a voltage test on the 5v regulator and the result shows 3.8v on the output.
So now i'm at the point of pulling my hair out and decided to desolder everything and check every component again on a breadboard.

Thanks for all the responses.

What voltage are you putting into the 5V regulator? 6.5 to 7V or more?

5 v from the 5v pin on the arduino Uno board, but i've already tried connecting the 5v pin directly into the circuit (bypassing the regulator), but that doesn't help either.

All F's usually indicates that miso is shorted high or reset isnt connected right at all.

update:

I desoldered the atmega chip and connected it to a circuit on a breadboard (the circuit works 100%) and found out that the chip still doesn't work so I guess that it is broken.

(deleted)

Because I thought it was the fault of the atmega328p-u.
But you're right, i should have done it before.