Arduino Due DMA

I would appreciate some advice.

DMA does not seem to be a popular service in Arduino.
I'm trying to go by existing documents and forum messages but these are few and far between and I may be trying to do something unusual.

I have parallel camera connected to PortC 0 to 7, the camera has pixel clock output.
I want gated DMA, read from 1 internal address (memory mapped PortC), read a byte from this fixed address every rising address of PCLK and write to incrementing memory address (RAM buffer).

So, it's effectively memory to memory (which is supported).
It is triggered which is supported (at least for Peripherals).
But I am struggling with figuring out the details.

I think I answered my own question.

/*   SAM DMA, Spec page 358:
   Programming Examples
   Single-buffer Transfer (Row 1)
   1. Read the Channel Handler Status Register DMAC_CHSR.ENAx Field to choose a free
      (disabled) channel.
   2. Clear any pending interrupts on the channel from the previous DMAC transfer by reading
      the interrupt status register, DMAC_EBCISR.
   3. Program the following channel registers:
      a. Write the starting source address in the DMAC_SADDRx register for channel x.
      b. Write the starting destination address in the DMAC_DADDRx register for
         channel x.
      c. Write the next descriptor address in the DMAC_DSCRx register for channel x with
         0x0..
      d. Program DMAC_CTRLAx, DMAC_CTRLBx and DMAC_CFGx according to Row 1
         as shown in Table 24-4 on page 357:
         ---------------------------------------------------------------------
         |Transfer Type     |SRC_DSCR|DST_DSCR|BTSIZE|DSCR|SADDR|DADDR|Others|
         |------------------|--------|--------|------|----|-----|-----|------|
         |Single Buffer     |   -    |   -    | USR  | 0  | USR | USR | USR  |
         |or last of multi  |        |        |      |    |     |     |      |
         |Multi contig DADDR|   0    |   1    | LLI  |USR | LLI |CONT | LLI  |
         |Multi contig SADDR|   1    |   0    | LLI  |USR |CONT | LLI | LLI  |
         |Multi with LLI    |   0    |   0    | LLI  |USR | LLI | LLI | LLI  |
         ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      e. Write the control information for the DMAC transfer in the DMAC_CTRLAx and
         DMAC_CTRLBx registers for channel x. For example, in the register, you can program
         the following:
         – i. Set up the transfer type (memory or non-memory peripheral for source and
              destination) and flow control device by programming the FC of the DMAC_CTRLBx
              register.
         – ii. Set up the transfer characteristics, such as:
               – Transfer width for the source in the SRC_WIDTH field.
               – Transfer width for the destination in the DST_WIDTH field.
               – Incrementing/decrementing or fixed address for source in SRC_INC field.
               – Incrementing/decrementing or fixed address for destination in DST_INC field.
      f. Write the channel configuration information into the DMAC_CFGx register for channel
         x.
         – i. Designate the handshaking interface type (hardware or software) for the source
              and destination peripherals. This is not required for memory. This step requires
              programming the SRC_H2SEL/DST_H2SEL bits, respectively. Writing a ‘1’ activates
              the hardware handshaking interface to handle source/destination requests. Writing a
              ‘0’ activates the software handshaking interface to handle source/destination
              requests.
         – ii. If the hardware handshaking interface is activated for the source or destination
              peripheral, assign a handshaking interface to the source and destination peripheral.
              This requires programming the SRC_PER and DST_PER bits, respectively.
   4. After the DMAC selected channel has been programmed, enable the channel by writing
      a ‘1’ to the DMAC_CHER.ENAx bit, where x is the channel number. Make sure that bit
      0 of DMAC_EN.ENABLE register is enabled.
   5. Source and destination request single and chunk DMAC transactions to transfer the
      buffer of data (assuming non-memory peripherals). The DMAC acknowledges at the
      completion of every transaction (chunk and single) in the buffer and carries out the buffer
      transfer.
   6. Once the transfer completes, the hardware sets the interrupts and disables the channel.
      At this time, you can either respond to the Buffer Transfer Completed Interrupt or
      Chained Buffer Transfer Completed Interrupt, or poll for the Channel Handler Status
      Register (DMAC_CHSR.ENAx) bit until it is cleared by hardware, to detect when the
      transfer is complete.
*/
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

void cam_dma_start()
{
  int x;
  long val;

// hard coding bit positions, number channels etc for clarity.
  // (1) find a free channel
  val = DMAC->DMAC_CHSR;
  for (x = 5; (val & (1 << x)) > 0 && x >= 0; x--)
    ;
  if (x >= 0)
  {
    // got a channel
    val = DMAC->DMAC_EBCISR; // (2) clear any pending interrupts
    DMAC->DMAC_CH_NUM[x].DMAC_SADDR = REG_PIOC_PDSR;    // (3a) Source Addr = PortC
    DMAC->DMAC_CH_NUM[x].DMAC_DADDR = (RwReg)FrameBuf;  // (3b) Destination addr (buffer)
    DMAC->DMAC_CH_NUM[x].DMAC_DSCR = 0;                 // (3c) Next descriptor, not needed
    // (3d) Program DMAC_CTRLAx, DMAC_CTRLBx and DMAC_CFGx
    DMAC->DMAC_CH_NUM[x].DMAC_CTRLA = MAX_FRAME; // full buffer,single rd/wr,byte rd/wr,not done
    DMAC->DMAC_CH_NUM[x].DMAC_CTRLB = (2<<21) | (2<<24);   // Periph to mem FC,Fix src addr
    DMAC->DMAC_CH_NUM[x].DMAC_CFG = 
  }

}

I got to DMAC_CFG which requires Peripheral index to get trigger.
The DMA controller can handle the transfer between peripherals and memory and so receives
the triggers from the peripherals below. If it's not a built in allowed peripheral then it can't be done.
I don't think it's possible to use a GPIO :frowning:

Unless you know different?