Esplora

I just saw an article about the new Esplora product. It looks quite fun, even with the severe I/O limitations of the design. One thought for a future addition: Why not integrate something like an XBee compatible interface, or allow that type of expansion? I'm playing with an Arduino controlled quadcopter project right now, and have done a few other little radio control projects where I used an Arduino. The Esplora could be an amazingly simple controller platform for some of those types of projects, with just a few tweaks to allow a bit more outside communications.

Just something to think about...

+1 on the wireless capability -- perhaps this could be done via a TinkerKit attachable?
@Vrmithrax: What do you mean by severe I/O limitations? It does appear to have several pin outs -- just not in the Arduino shield format

giantsfan3:
+1 on the wireless capability -- perhaps this could be done via a TinkerKit attachable?
@Vrmithrax: What do you mean by severe I/O limitations? It does appear to have several pin outs -- just not in the Arduino shield format

IIRC, it has 2 output and 2 input pins, not counting the LCD pins or the USB. But evidently you can daisy chain some of the I/O with SPI.

giantsfan3:

I just mean that it's more of a limited proposition than a standard Arduino. The I/O is kind of there, but it's all tied up in the built-in functions (buttons, joysticks, etc), other than the few available for use with Tinkerkits. With a regular Arduino system, you have much more I/O options, plus the shield expansion capabilities. That's what I mean by severe I/O limitations...

you can roll your own radio but I tend to agree it would be helpful if the designers could make it such that a usb connection is not the only power source. The 21st Century Digital Home: Wireless Arduino Esplora controls robotic head