Go Down

Topic: Forum profile changes not applied (Read 414 times) previous topic - next topic

ballscrewbob

Jan 03, 2018, 02:25 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2018, 02:30 pm by ballscrewbob
Had this issue for a long time but now that I want to apply some changes they only seem to stick for a short while.

More so the website title and URL along with personal text.

Not sure if I may be applying something that is not allowed or if its an actual bug.

These are the two fields I am most interested in.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

I had that problem a while back and reported it here:
https://github.com/arduino/forum-issues/issues/194
As you can see, one of the lead Arduino developers at that time also confirmed the issue. I came across an old forum post later from either one of the website team or the forum moderators that said that was actually intentionally done. After all the SSO related forum changes that happened a while back the problem went away for me and I have had a website link ever since then so I closed the issue report.

ballscrewbob

Thanks Pert.

The issue was there PRE SSO.

Think my profile was one of those that suffered minor corruption during the swap as I have never got my capital letter on the handle back.

So that could also be part of the explanation.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

When I replied to this thread I could see you had the globe icon linked to your facebook group and also the URL (I like the glowing rocks BTW) but now your links are gone and mine remain.

I remember wasting quite a bit of time going back and setting the link in my profile over and over again and trying to figure out why it always disappeared. The link itself wasn't a huge thing for me; I just thought it would be nice to link my GitHub account to my forum account since they are both Arduino related. It would be understandable if that feature was intentionally disabled since spammers might post meaningless replies on the Arduino forum that don't get reported but then add their link to their bio for SEO purposes, rather than the more obvious tactic of putting the link right in the forum post, which often doesn't even work due to them not using the markup and will usually get deleted by the moderators very quickly. The problem for me is the way they set it up to make you think you could add a link and then mysteriously make it disappear after some time. Maybe they have a cron job set up to go through the database periodically and remove it but that wouldn't explain why mine stays and yours doesn't and also seems like such a bad way to go about doing it.

ballscrewbob

ATTINY's and neopixels a couple are Arduino propelled too for the rocks and stones etc.

Yes that's why I find it perplexing here it was...GONE... LOL

Go Up