PNP Transistor not 'shutting off' when increasing voltage.

I'm trying to multiplex small segments of LED Strips.
I'm sinking using TLC5940's, i'm sourcing using a ULN2803 driving PNP transistors. (BC577)

I started out at 12v, which neatly gave me about 20mA on each rgb led channel.
Since I'm multiplexing I wanted to increase the current going to the LED strips.
I did this by increasing the voltage to 18v.

Now, however, the transistors are not 'shutting down' completely, does anyone know how this happens?

I'm using a 2.5kohm resistor between the base and the ULN2803 outputs.

Many things can go wrong. Without a circuit diagram, it is hard to know what.

I'm using a 2.5kohm resistor between the base and the ULN2803 outputs.

You need pull ups to the +ve and a resistor in series with the base.

Grumpy_Mike:
You need pull ups to the +ve and a resistor in series with the base.

Could you please explain what kind of resistors from where to where that should be?

Put a 4k7 resistor one end to the base, the other end has a other 4K7 to the +ve and is also connected to the output of the ULN2803.
Values are not critical.

So then i'd have the the emitter to 18v, a 2k5 from base to the ULN, a 4k7 from the emitter to base, and another 4k7 from the emitter to the ULN?

Loose the 2K5 and yes.

Ik hooked up my scope to the collecter and to ground, and noticed something what i consider 'odd'.

When using 12v, I read about 3v when the transistor should be off, and 12v when it should be on.

When using 18v, i read about 12v when the transistor should be off, and 14v when it should be on.

What could this mean?

Inevitableavoidance:
So then i'd have the the emitter to 18v, a 2k5 from base to the ULN, a 4k7 from the emitter to base, and another 4k7 from the emitter to the ULN?

Grumpy_Mike:
Loose the 2K5 and yes.

Without the 2k5 nothing's happening at all..

A PNP transistor is effectively a diode from base to emitter ( base cathode ) and pulling too much current from the base WILL destroy the transistor, Short the base to ground and the transistor WILL explode or shut down the power supply, in either case the transistor is toast. ALL PNP transistors need some method of current limiting (A resistor) in the base circuit. If it was an NPN directly pulling the base down, likely the NPN is toast as well.

Bob

Then you are missunderstand what I was saying. Can you draw what you are doing.

Docedison:
A PNP transistor is effectively a diode from base to emitter ( base cathode ) and pulling too much current from the base WILL destroy the transistor, Short the base to ground and the transistor WILL explode or shut down the power supply, in either case the transistor is toast. ALL PNP transistors need some method of current limiting (A resistor) in the base circuit. If it was an NPN directly pulling the base down, likely the NPN is toast as well.

Bob

To be honest, i don't quite see how this is relevant..?

Also, when not connecting anything to the transistor except for 12v on the emitter and the collector to the 'anode' of the led strips, i measure about 11v from the collector to ground..

Also, when not connecting anything to the transistor except for 12v on the emitter

Transistors are current devices. Do not leave the base floating, the results you see will not make sense.

Grumpy_Mike:
Then you are missunderstand what I was saying. Can you draw what you are doing.

My initial setup was:

Leds
|
|
Collector

Base ------2k5-----ULN2803 output

Emitter
|
|
18v

What i understood you meant was:

Leds
|
|
Collector

Base --- 2k5 --- ULN2803 output
| |
4k7 |
| |
Emitter ----------4k7
|
|
18v

(edited, misdrew something)

My initial setup was:

They will never work.

dhenry:

My initial setup was:

They will never work.

Could you explain what you mean by that..?

Yes I thought you were not getting it.
Try the attached diagram.

As for dhenery, sorry about him but he has poped up recently and is giving a lot of bad advice.

High side switching.pdf (15.2 KB)

To switch off a bjt, you have to bring its base to within 0.6v of its emitter. That means your pnp's base has to be least 11.4v or more.