Arduino product production

nootropic:

Have you ever designed PCBs before?

If you're thinking about the answer, I'll give it to you. NO, you did not do any PCBs before. It's not easy, it may look easy, but doing it is a different thing altogether. Also, you'd need someone to review the drawing.
But again, designing PCBs is not simple... and if you haven't done it before, it's best left to someone with experience.

@bubulindo, I think you're being a bit harsh. It's not impossible for someone to learn how to design PCBs. Everyone had to start somewhere. It takes time and hard work, but it's possible. Two years ago, I knew nothing of electronics or PCB design, but now have several successful products that I designed myself. And I think I did a pretty good job on the PCBs, so I would encourage LuisSoares to pursue his ideas, but be prepared to learn a lot and work hard.

True... sorry if I sounded harsh. My point was that if you haven't designed a PCB before, designing one to be produced in large scale without anyone experienced to revise it is a recipe for disaster. This is my experience talking.

Now, designing one to produce about 4 boards to test is good (it serves as experience and to prove the design), however, such a small production is quite costly. Unless you strike a deal with the manufacturer to get a few prototypes before deciding a high volume production. But even then, you'll need to have a high volume. Which doesn't seem to be the case.

However, like I said previously, this can be overcome if the company decides to sell the shield. Chances are that there are people interested in that particular combination, and providing the libraries to use it, will most likely make it a success (after some publicity, of course).

I actually find the design quite interesting... having more components cooked in the board is always good.

I'll try to get the name of that company in Portugal that makes and assembles boards.