Developing an Universal Mobile Controller based on Arduino

Project:
Integrate an Arduino in a cutting edge industrial connector enclosure in order to create a flexible, easy-to-use Universal Mobile Controller.

Prototype:

Question:
Could this be a suitable solution for simple industrial mobile applications?
I would like to hear your opinion.

What's a "Universal Mobile Controller"?

Rob

Hi,

Universal
Several hardware configurations can be made:
-14 I/O
-Max. 14 digital outputs
-Max. 14 digital inputs
-Max. 4 analog inputs (0-20 mA or 0-12V)

One additional shield can be placed, for example the Sparkfun CAN-bus shield

Mobile
Suited for mobile applications
-IP67 connector enclosure
-9-36 VDC power input

Controller
Using an Arduino Uno microcontroller and Arduino software to 'control' your application.

So basically it's an Arduino in a box?

Question:
Could this be a suitable solution for simple industrial mobile applications?
I would like to hear your opinion.

I would suggest adding a handle and shoulder strap attachment points.

So basically it's an Arduino in a box?

Yes, partly it is.
The most important component is the Adapter Board. The Adapter Board is used as 'interface' between the Arduino Uno and the IP67 enclosure.

meetregel:
Yes, partly it is.

Why do you say 'partly' - what is it, other than an Arduino in a box? Are you proposing to make is electrically or mechanically rugged, or something? Does it come with any value-added interfaces, or software? What's it actually for?

Why do you say 'partly' - what is it, other than an Arduino in a box?

Let’s put the question in a different way.
For example: on a wheeled excavator I want to position two additional hydraulic cylinders using two separate 24 VDC hydraulic proportional valves and using four proximity switches indicating two positions for each hydraulic cylinder.

Besides the software, can we get this working just by putting a Arduino Uno in a box?

It does have the adapter board which at the least give you a 9-36 VIN by the looks of it. If the IO is suitably hardened it's more than just an Uno in a box I think.

Rob

Universal
Several hardware configurations can be made:
-14 I/O
-Max. 14 digital outputs
-Max. 14 digital inputs
-Max. 4 analog inputs (0-20 mA or 0-12V)

What happens with the other 2 analog inputs? Committed to I2C?
CAN-Bus shield also ties up quite a few IO pins; SPI, 2 slave selects, other, and looks to get in the way of I2C pins also.

It does have the adapter board which at the least give you a 9-36 VIN by the looks of it.

Correct, the adapter board has an onboard 9-36 VIN DC/DC converter.
The controller needs to tolerate various overvoltage and transient voltage conditions like an alternator load dump for example

If the IO is suitably hardened it's more than just an Uno in a box I think

Yes, that's the core function of the adapter board. For example: the adapter board is controlling high current FET's based digital logic levels of the Arduino.
From the Arduino logic level, this FET allows switching loads at 3 Amps which makes it possible to control (PWM) hydraulic proportional valves.

What happens with the other 2 analog inputs? Committed to I2C?

Yes, can be used for I2C when needed.

CAN-Bus shield also ties up quite a few IO pins; SPI, 2 slave selects, other, and looks to get in the way of I2C pins als

You're right. Installing the CAN-Bus shield (can be any type of shield) means less I/O available that can be configured for general I/O purposes.
All 14 I/O can be configured (optional) hardware wise using jumpers.

meetregel:
Besides the software, can we get this working just by putting a Arduino Uno in a box?

No, you need driver and buffer circuits for the various inputs and outputs. I would have thought that a Ruggeduino would be a better starting point than a UNO, although you're still going to need additional hardware for the output drivers. Presumably the software would be bespoke and application-specific and the main purpose of this project would be to provide the standard hardware platform and perhaps a standard runtime framework to support access to the hardware you're providing.

I'm confused now (as ever)...

Do you want to create a generalized Arduino-in-a-box or do you want to make something to control excavator hydraulics.

The latter seems a much more practical starting point as there are specific needs to be met and specific pieces of hardware to be controlled.

I would suggest making a specific plan for the excavator project rather than starting with a general list of add-on components which may or may not interfere with each other and may or may not be relevant to the excavator project.

When that is working it would be time to wonder if a more generalized "box" could be evolved from it.

...R

No, you need driver and buffer circuits for the various inputs and outputs.

Agree. This is what I meant by 'partly' in my previous post, fitting an Arduino in a box is just one 'part' of the adapter board.

Main functions adapter board:
-In- and output drivers that will make the Arduino capable interfacing with industrial sensors and actuators
-Making the Arduino Uno fit in the industrial enclosure.

To be clear: the specific in- and output drivers (analog and digital) are already integrated in the prototype. You can see a few FET's on the picture of my initial post.

Do you want to create a generalized Arduino-in-a-box

Yes, the excavator was just an example application where a "generalized Arduino-in-a-box" can be used.
I already used one of the prototypes for a similar application. Worked OK, my only concern is the heat that gets generated by the FET's when having high power consumption.

Use a metal case?

One could develop a universal controller capable of running equipment specific programs, but there would probably need to be a significant amount of equipment specific hardware to actually be able to interface with the specific equipment.