Go Down

Topic: Nixie tube display for prop (Read 2182 times) previous topic - next topic

rasmusbaek

Hey Everyone

Im a total beginner to all this...sorry

I work as a propdesigner, and got this really exciting job to build a sort of DIY time-machine for a show on television.
My idea is to make the panel of the time-machine(where you type in the year and date you want to travel to) using old nixie-tubes to make it look cool and old.
I need to be able to control these from a keypad or something, changing between numbers and have the display flicker(when it gets overloaded)
A bit like the delorean time machine in "back to the future". I was wondering if  an auduino the solution to this?? could someone please tell me what i need to create something like this?

Thanks a lot,
Rasmus

floresta

How about something like the Adafruit 'Ice Tube Clock'.  http://www.adafruit.com/products/194

Don

rasmusbaek

Thanks for the replies guys.

The 'Ice Tube Clock' looks really good, but i want to be ale to have full control over the digits when filming. Tims nixie display is almost exactly what i want. Does anyone know if its possible to buy something like that already made? I need it to be controlled by a keypad instead if a computer.

Rasmus

dannable

If there's money involved you might try posting a request in the 'Gigs and Collaborations' section.
Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

CrossRoads

There are kits like this one
http://tubehobby.com/show_det.php?det=42
schematic
http://tubehobby.com/datasheets/NCV2.0_manual.pdf

The procesor and RTC could be left off, and IO pins connected to an Uno/equivalent (promini) to drive the display drivers, programmed to read a couple of buttons and display what you want.
I am sure other kits could be modified as well.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

runaway_pancake

Things have come "so far" that 7-segment LEDs qualify as "retro" - "Oh, that's so 70s!"
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
When all else fails, check your wiring!

floresta

Things have come "so far" that 7-segment LEDs qualify as "retro" - "Oh, that's so 70s!"

I haven't found any mention of 7-segment LED displays in this thread (prior to your post).   Nixie tubes date back a few more decades, to the vacuum-tube era.

Don

runaway_pancake

I haven't found any mention of 7-segment LED displays in this thread (prior to your post).   Nixie tubes date back a few more decades, to the vacuum-tube era.

I brought it up on my own.
Others brought up the complexity of a nixie project and I figured, like I do from time to time, that I'd try to steer the project toward an easily, or more easily, implemented alternative.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
When all else fails, check your wiring!

MarkT

There are still sources of nixies and driver chips on eBay, mostly russian ones.  I know I found a source of cheapish power supplies
for nixies a while back, 12V in and 150V out.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

CrossRoads

Modding an existing kit to replace whatever controller comes with it (like a PIC) to receive digit select data from something Arduino based would not  be difficult. I am thinking of doing just that.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up