LED Array current

I have an array of 96 LEDs powered by 9v wired in the configuration below. When I measure the current draw of the entire array, I get a reading of ~190mA (my batteries are at 8v right now). The configuration below says that the LEDs should draw ~960mA. Do I need to lower the resistance to maximize the output of the LEDs? Why was the LED array wizard (or myself) inaccurate?

Thanks a lot! :wink:

Is your array just connected to a battery or is it being multiplexed in some way?
If it is then a meter will not give you a correct reading and also all the LEDs are not on at the same time.

Use your meter and measure the voltage drop you are actually getting across the LED. Then put that back into your calculations to get the real current.

The LED array is just connected to the battery

I am not sure where that program got its information from but 960mA looks way out.

You say your voltage is actually 8V, if the LEDs have 3.2V forward volts drop you will have a voltage of:-
8 - 3.2 - 3.2 = 1.6V across the resistor.
As you have a 150R resistor this gives a current of 1.6 / 150 = 10.6mA
As you have 96 LEDs you should have 10.6 * 96 = 1.024 Amps

That is a lot of a miss match between what you measure. Are you sure you are measuring it correctly?

Are you using a small rectangular 9V battery?

If so, this is a case where the battery can not supply the amount of current you are trying to draw.

Hmm... Still getting a reading of ~190mA. I tested some other parts with my multimeter and the current measuring function seems to be working fine.

I'm using 6 AA batteries, but they have been used a bit so they are outputting about 8v total. Would this cause the inaccurate reading?

duemilanove:
but they have been used a bit

Dead batteries have less current capacity as, well, not dead batteries.

With all new AA batteries, I get a reading of ~680mA. Still not what is specified...

You're using the 150ohm resistor?

Are you using rechargeable AAs?

I'm using 150 ohm resistors and it is wired exactly as the diagram shows and standard alkaline AA batteries

Put two rows of batteries in parallel. And/Or

Measure the voltage while powering the LEDs.

I suspect you are still pulling more current than the batteries can provide.

With all of the LEDs off, the multimeter reads ~9.3v. With all of the LEDs on, the multimeter reads ~8.3v. Does this mean that I do not have enough power?

You might be interested in this Alkaline AA Spec Sheet:

Specifically, the graphs that show the max current out of the AA is around 300-500mA, for about an hour.

You're still drawing more current out of your batteries than they can provide, which you're seeing by the 1V drop (and lack of full current.) You need to put 6 batteries in series to get 9V and then another 6 in parallel (at least) to get the amount of current you want.

Can you measure the voltage across one of the resistors while powering them all. That will confirm your current reading.
What you are reporting does not add up.

Can you measure the voltage across one of the resistors while powering them all. That will confirm your current reading.
What you are reporting does not add up.

~2.1v

That gives you 14mA per LED which times 96 is 1.3A. So I think your meter is no good at current measurements.
On the other hand it could be that your meter is no good at voltage measurements or you have not got 150R resistors.
It's one of those three.