Thinking about starting an Arduino magazine

Onions:
Wow, brilliant idea! Will you deliver to the UK :smiley: ?

I'll deliver to the internetz: completely free pdf, print-it-yourself (to stay in the DIY theme :D)

Onions:
You said it was aimed at beginners, but there is no reason why it could not have more advanced things in it. Why not have a section like the exhibition/gallery, where people can show off their arduino creations? Maybe a project of the month prize? Arduino related news section?

Maybe some sponsored ads from sparkfun or digikey or so (e.g. 'You can buy a kit with everything you need to do this project from sparkfun.com/qsdf/qsdf') with €1 profit / kit or so and then use it to fund prizes and stuff?

Onions:
Why not have a section like the exhibition/gallery, where people can show off their arduino creations?

The projects should have good documentation, so everybody can build them easily. Maybe sell kits through e-shops, like I said above.

Totally exited!/size]

How bout this

60 pages

1-20: Beginner level stuff

21-40: Intermediate stuff

41-60: Advanced stuff

Too much material is focused on the absolute beginner (which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but I'm at an intermediate level and find it hard to find things that are my level)

[I'm at an intermediate level and find it hard to find things that are my level

That is where my stuff is aimed :slight_smile:

How about an Arduino podcast, that is something I have been considering for some time.

See, Mike, that's where you put a link to your stuff, I'm lazy, do all the work for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Congrats, when I typed your name Google suggested I add Arduino to it

By the way, your last name is odd... Mr. Arduino (Facebook)

(scrolling a few more results down... apparently there are actually people named Arduino... I found a guy (who very well could have been the same guy)'s obituary listing :frowning:

doublet:
This idea has been stuck in my mind for some months: an Arduino magazine? Why not?
But... Why start a magazine while there are so many blogs, so many project sites and wikipedia who knows everything? It would be aimed towards beginners. Like, every issue, another part or shield is presented, and how to use it, ... You wouldn't only get a pile of electronics if you buy that certain piece after a while, but also the knowledge to use them. Of course that wouldn't be all, stuff like projects in detail (how exactly it's made, how it's works, ...), making a project with a walk through the steps of designing the code and hardware, explanations of, for example, the differences between some programming languages or a description of the differences of Creative Commons licenses, ...

So, in short, I'm looking for opinions and other ideas :slight_smile:

It's crossed my mind before. There's no need to keep it for beginners. There is a lot of stuff online but it'd be really nice to have something pulling it all together.

You'd want to include news, reviews, letters, readers wives projects (you'd probably want some web space to host decent instructions for all projects included, this may be better than filling the mag with it), how-tos, theory, that kind of thing.

I'd pay for it if you publish it as an eBook through the kindle store.

that's where you put a link to your stuff,

http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk

If I was being meanI'd say it's called Hackaday and Make Magazine :smiley:

I have also considered it a few times before.

How about user contributed material? Any of the readers can write an article to be placed in the magazine, should they want to. To keep spammers out, it would need to be checked over by the editor first, but it could serve as an announcement page. Basically, like the playground, only on paper.

Onions.

Onions:
How about user contributed material? Any of the readers can write an article to be placed in the magazine, should they want to. To keep spammers out, it would need to be checked over by the editor first, but it could serve as an announcement page. Basically, like the playground, only on paper.

I certainly will not be able to do all this alone.

CowJam:
You'd want to include news, reviews, letters, readers wives projects (you'd probably want some web space to host decent instructions for all projects included, this may be better than filling the mag with it), how-tos, theory, that kind of thing.

I'd pay for it if you publish it as an eBook through the kindle store.

Well, if people appreciate it the magazine, I would start a YouTube channel, and the next step would be a website with forums, tutorials, ...

doublet:
This idea has been stuck in my mind for some months: an Arduino magazine? Why not?

I assume you are sitting on a pile of money, and its burning a hole in your pocket?

The truth is, starting a magazine is hard and expensive work; have you done your research as to your target market, how many of them purchase magazine subscriptions, which ones they currently subscribe to, etc?

Do you know about your competion? You have Make, Nuts and Volts, Servo, and several others to consider; no, none of these are focused on the Arduino exclusively (or at all), but they -are- your competition, so you need to keep them in mind - mainly as to what makes them successful, how do they draw in the readers, how can you compete with them, etc.

These days, you also need to build a community around your magazine, and that means social networking and a good website. This costs money - quite a bit of money. You're probably looking at around $20K USD for the website development (complete package, actual development company, plus the marketing, etc) alone.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, nor that it isn't a good idea (I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been done yet, in all the years the Arduino has been around - makes you kinda wonder "why?" - you should look into that) - but there does need to be a reality check.

I don't think it would be worth trying unless you had about $100,000 USD to kick it off - that would be "to do it right" (ie, getting an office, hiring staff, building the website, marketing, etc). Even then, it could be a crapshoot...

Good luck with the project; I'd probably subscribe myself (or at least pick up an issue - I don't consider myself a beginner, per se, but I would be interested in such a magazine).

:slight_smile:

You're probably looking at around $20K USD for the website development (complete package, actual development company, plus the marketing, etc) alone.

$20,000 !? I built my website using HTML, and it did not cost a penny. If you get to grips with basic HTML, you can easily put together a website. After that, you will need to consider hosting it. If you already have a website, you cna add it on to that. Otherwise, you will need to buy a domain name and server space (unless you make an arduino web server). 1-2-3 reg seems a common web hosting company, so have a look round there to get an idea about prices.
As cr0sh said, professional web development would not be cheap. On the other hand, homebrew websites are.

Onions.

cr0sh:

doublet:

I assume you are sitting on a pile of money, and its burning a hole in your pocket?

The truth is, starting a magazine is hard and expensive work; have you done your research as to your target market, how many of them purchase magazine subscriptions, which ones they currently subscribe to, etc?

Do you know about your competion? You have Make, Nuts and Volts, Servo, and several others to consider; no, none of these are focused on the Arduino exclusively (or at all), but they -are- your competition, so you need to keep them in mind - mainly as to what makes them successful, how do they draw in the readers, how can you compete with them, etc.

These days, you also need to build a community around your magazine, and that means social networking and a good website. This costs money - quite a bit of money. You're probably looking at around $20K USD for the website development (complete package, actual development company, plus the marketing, etc) alone.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, nor that it isn't a good idea (I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been done yet, in all the years the Arduino has been around - makes you kinda wonder "why?" - you should look into that) - but there does need to be a reality check.

I don't think it would be worth trying unless you had about $100,000 USD to kick it off - that would be "to do it right" (ie, getting an office, hiring staff, building the website, marketing, etc). Even then, it could be a crapshoot...

Good luck with the project; I'd probably subscribe myself (or at least pick up an issue - I don't consider myself a beginner, per se, but I would be interested in such a magazine).

You get me wrong - I know there are much others out there. But I want to make a free, downloadable, community-made magazine. Not really like a magazine, but more like, ehm, let's call it an e-magazine :slight_smile:

Onions:

You're probably looking at around $20K USD for the website development (complete package, actual development company, plus the marketing, etc) alone.

$20,000 !? I built my website using HTML, and it did not cost a penny. If you get to grips with basic HTML, you can easily put together a website. After that, you will need to consider hosting it. If you already have a website, you cna add it on to that. Otherwise, you will need to buy a domain name and server space (unless you make an arduino web server). 1-2-3 reg seems a common web hosting company, so have a look round there to get an idea about prices.
As cr0sh said, professional web development would not be cheap. On the other hand, homebrew websites are.

Onions.

You're talking about static websites. As a hobby PHP developer, I must admit cr0sh is right. My dad is setting up a webshop, and the company that is going to build it asks €6.500.
For a system that I am aiming to, $20.000 seems reasonable. However, as I don't have that much money, I'll develop it myself (I have already written some classes of it, just to maintain my PHP skills).

Onions:

But you won't be able to market a real magazine on a shoe-string website - it just doesn't work that way. Honestly, my numbers are probably low - and really, $20K for a website isn't that much, when you really start thinking about it. Remember, the website isn't just a brochure - it's a marketing vehicle. You want it to look slick, you want it to function well. You might want to integrate your subscription and billing systems with it. You probably want to link it into facebook and twitter. You're going to need some flash elements. Proper layout and graphic design will be a must. Back end management and reporting, with a well designed database solution to run it all.

If you attempt to start small and shoestring, and go large - somebody else out there with the money will come in, drop the dough, and scoop you before your readerbase is even established. Seriously, how difficult do you think it would be for Oreilly to implement "Make: Arduino"? They already have the website, and they have the money and user-base; all they likely would need to do is some graphic design, drop a template on their backend, and be rolling in a month or two.

But they might be waiting for some other chump to test the waters first...let someone else burn some cash to do -your- market research.

That's reality.

doublet:
You get me wrong - I know there are much others out there. But I want to make a free, downloadable, community-made magazine. Not really like a magazine, but more like, ehm, let's call it an e-magazine

If done right, it's maybe a possibility; if I am understanding you right, you're aim is perhaps something like the various QuickBASIC communities that are/were out there - some even had small "e-magazines" with contributions and such. If its just a hobby project and small - something for fun, I can see it being a "one-man" operation, perhaps growing to a vibrant community; but if it grows too popular too quickly, that could kill it just as quick as if it remained small - simply because you can't scale it yourself. Now, maybe if you built things right so you can track this information, you could then use it to build a case for investment and such - but I would write that business plan right now, and have it on hand should that occur. Because if it hits off big quickly, you're going to want to have or get cash-in-hand quickly to hire that web shop (or hire your own in-house team - which I wouldn't reccommend - you need to have focus on the magazine, not on the coding - if this happens) to build you a slick site. You won't want to dilly-dally around trying to write a business plan as your userbase and homebrew site teeters under the load. I've seen this happen to sites, too.

What would be nice, though - is if you can somehow get your community to write and submit articles (good articles), and have them compiled into a downloadable PDF each month. I can envision a site where there's a forum, plus each member has a profile page where they can "blog" - then you have other members rate blogged articles monthly, and top 10 (or whatever) get a slot in the magazine at the end. There would still be a fair amount of design and layout work needed as the "deadline" rolled around, but most of it could probably be taken care of by the website design itself...

Hmm - I could see such a site being interesting - and the magazine being more so; the only issue is that the site and magazine is for beginners - but you need someone at the beginning who is -not- a beginner to "prime the pump", so to speak - otherwise you could get into a "blind-leading-the-blind" debacle with your magazine - with articles that show projects that either don't work, have bad explanations, or unsafe practices - and no one would know differently...

Will you be able to use the name 'Arduino' in the title of your product, or will you have to secure permission first?

Lefty

I think the Arduino failed to get registered status because is is simply a name of a person, it's like trying to register a "Peter".

I'd definitely implement torrent distribution, hackers and geeks know what a torrent is, and how to use it (allow regular downloads too of course, but give the option of torrenting it)

If I was being mean I'd say it's called Hackaday and Make Magazine smiley-grin

Seriously. There already exist quite a few magazines that cover the target market, and are usually pretty hungry for well-written articles. Which they'll pay for. Once you've start getting a bunch of people complaining that their articles are getting rejected by Nuts and Volts, Make, Microcomputer Journal, and etc because they have "too many arduino articles", THEN it'll be time for a separate magazine.

You're talking about static websites. As a hobby PHP developer, I must admit cr0sh is right. My dad is setting up a webshop, and the company that is going to build it asks €6.500.
For a system that I am aiming to, $20.000 seems reasonable. However, as I don't have that much money, I'll develop it myself (I have already written some classes of it, just to maintain my PHP skills).

I bet with the number of people on here talking about this we easily have the skills to whip up a decent website.

I think the Arduino failed to get registered status because is is simply a name of a person, it's like trying to register a "Peter".

That was a long time ago.
Arduino is now a registered Trademark in the EU and US so it can't be used in the name of something.

I'd suggest that keeping it more open to include projects from similar microcontrollers wouldn't be such a bad idea either, ATtiny chips, projects on wiring boards etc. A magazine for arduino folk need not just be on arduino boards or arduino hardware as many people use home made boards and don't use the IDE but theie projects still turn up on the forum or online as an 'arudino project' due to the nature of it probably using the arduino bootloader on an ATmega chip.

Seriously. There already exist quite a few magazines that cover the target market, and are usually pretty hungry for well-written articles. Which they'll pay for. Once you've start getting a bunch of people complaining that their articles are getting rejected by Nuts and Volts, Make, Microcomputer Journal, and etc because they have "too many arduino articles", THEN it'll be time for a separate magazine.

Yep
If you look around, there are an awful lot of magazines/websites around to satisfy people's hunger for arduino projects.

mowcius:

Yep
If you look around, there are an awful lot of magazines/websites around to satisfy people's hunger for arduino projects.

There are 44 653 Arduino forum members. That are 44653 people who found the way to the forum. In 2010, the point of 130 000 sold arduinos was reached (with clones, it would be at least two times that, I suspect). Is this market saturized? I didn't think so. I also believe in it being free.