Deleted

Deleted

R/W pin is not grounded, just a wild guess at what's wrong

What's the resistor you're using on pin 3?

I just had a go at setting up an HD44780 4x20 LCD for the first time a couple of days ago and used a 10K pot on pin 3 so I could tweak it to look just right. If it's too strong or not strong enough, it could explain seeing nothing on the LCD.

You really should start with something simple. Try following the tutorial at Arduino Tutorial - connecting a parallel LCD and pay particular attention to the part about midway through where the contrast is adjusted. If you can't get that to work then there's no sense going any further. Make sure pin 5 is grounded (reply #1) and use a potentiometer for the contrast (reply #2). If you get stumped then post a photo that clearly shows your connections.

Don

Do you have a potentiometer on the contrast pin?

floresta:
Try following the tutorial at Arduino Tutorial - connecting a parallel LCD

That was the one I followed, got up and running with it in no time.

Then once I knew it all worked, I got a little more daring with the second schematic in this one so I could get 3 of those pins back.

http://code.google.com/p/arduinoshiftreglcd/

Kaouthia:

floresta:
Try following the tutorial at Arduino Tutorial - connecting a parallel LCD

That was the one I followed, got up and running with it in no time.

Then once I knew it all worked, I got a little more daring with the second schematic in this one so I could get 3 of those pins back.

Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

You will have to change your program while daring at the shift reg lcd like this:

#include <ShiftRegLCD.h>

ShiftRegLCD objectName(Datapin, Clockpin, Enablepin or TWO_WIRE [, Lines [, Font]])

where Lines and Font are optional. 

* Enablepin: can be replaced by constant TWO_WIRE, if using only 2 wires.
    * Lines: 1 or 2 lines (also 4-line LCD's must be set as 2).
    * Font : 0 or 1, small or big font (8 or 10 pixel tall font, if available).

You can't use LiquidCrystal lcd(blah) any more.

Are you really in need of three pins? Have you used the analog pins as digital pins?

We are getting way off topic. This thread is about getting a standard parallel interface LCD operating with the LiquidCrystal library.

Don

liudr:
You will have to change...

Already done :slight_smile:

liudr:
Are you really in need of three pins? Have you used the analog pins as digital pins?

Yup, need the pins, I'm now down from using 11 to using 8, and I still have 2 servo motors and a stepper (and maybe another 4x20 LCD) that I'll need to hook up to this. :slight_smile:

But let's not hijack this fella's thread. I was simply commenting that Ladyada's tutorial helped me, and informed me that the LCD was working before moving on to what I really wanted to do. :slight_smile:

Kaouthia:

liudr:
You will have to change...

Already done :slight_smile:

liudr:

Yup, need the pins, I'm now down from using 11 to using 8, and I still have 2 servo motors and a stepper (and maybe another 4x20 LCD) that I'll need to hook up to this. :slight_smile:

But let's not hijack this fella's thread. I was simply commenting that Ladyada's tutorial helped me, and informed me that the LCD was working before moving on to what I really wanted to do. :slight_smile:

I thought you were the OP. Your IDs both start with ka :blush: