language on the forum

I see more and more messages/questions etc in (non) English in the "international" section of the forum. Sometimes these are moved to italian/french/ whatever.

The question that came up is why to move these questions?

I propose only to move a question if it is in the wrong category (motors iso displays) but not when the language is non english.
If people do not understand the posting, that is primary the risk of the Original Poster. He will not get answers or at least less.
The same is true if people have a vague question, they get less answers too

On the other hand, we should tell people that they have a bigger chance on an answer when the ask their question also in English.
Google translate is not that bad

What do you think?

• if this discussion should be held in another section, please move :wink:

Perhaps. Sometimes I will google/translate something if I see something I recognize. More often I just hit 'back' and go the next message. Depends on how much time I feel like I have.

I feel that it is the responsibility of the poster to use google translate to translate their message to English if they want to post in the English part of the forum. I wouldn't head off to the Italian forum and post a message in English. Other people shouldn't come in here posting in other languages.

To broaden the discussion a little, what should we do when the poster posts the same question in English in the English-speaking section, and in their native language in the International section?
Do we consider this cross-posting?

PaulS:
I feel that it is the responsibility of the poster to use google translate to translate their message to English if they want to post in the English part of the forum. I wouldn't head off to the Italian forum and post a message in English. Other people shouldn't come in here posting in other languages.

I agree, there are enough posts that could be avoided if people only bothered to read the sticky's or do a forum search. Adding non English speaking only adds to this. If I wanted to try and help non English speakers then I would go to the non English forums and expect it's my responsibility to translate to that language.

To broaden the discussion a little, what should we do when the poster posts the same question in English in the English-speaking section, and in their native language in the International section?

I have a strong feeling to say no, as there is different audience (assumption! Question that rises: How many people do read multiple language sections?).

If two persons (students?) ask for the "same" project guidance we don't see it as cross posting either. We might point them to each others thread.

AWOL:

I do not consider the above as cross posting. It already happened that an English and dutch version of a post was posted in the respectively fora.
I only consider it cross-posting if it is literally the same content in multiple fora.
Best regards
Jantje

I have a strong feeling to say no, as there is different audience

+1
On the other hand I think that those who are lucky enough to have English as native language can try to understand difficulties of those who were not so lucky.

Google translation still requires to know a bit of English.
Try to translate a sentence from English to another language, and while maintaining the google translation, try to translate it again into English : you will often struggle to recognize your original sentence.

->
This text comes from a google translation, it is absolutely not perfect, but I have improved it, it was worse before.