Playing a music with an arduino uno

Hello, I just bought an arduino uno and I would like to know if it's possible to convert a music to play it on a speaker connected to my arduino.I wanted to convert it in frequency and voltage but I didn't find how to do it on audacity. I anybody as an answer I would be pleased to know it.

Playing music like this?
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=179761.0

Or having the Arduino control an MP3 module with music files on an SD card?
http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=f5b353401fd16de884fbb48af3f2c006&keyword=mp3&x=0&y=0
There's usually more choices in stock here, gives an idea of options available.

Dear CrossRoads,
I have an Arduino Uno and I wish to make it into something like a Daft Punk synthesiser.
I saw your post but it is too complicated for me. :frowning:
I want to use capacitive sensor and have the arduino play a .wav file instead of a pitch.
I do not know how to 'call' .wav files or work around with them.

Oh, I have only a speaker, wires and the Uno. Thanks!

I have only a speaker, wires and the Uno.

Then you are out of luck. Uno by itself does not have enough storage space for a .wav file for more than a fraction of a second.

SimpleSDAudio.

You'll need an SD Card and reader, or make one yourself using some male pin headers. Then use the supplied converter to convert your audio file and copy to SD. I find the quality to be very acceptable.

Oooh I see.. Seems that I am lack of materials.
Is't possible that I do it without SD card and try something like a 'call' function to call the .wav files from the computer?

Is't possible that I do it without SD card and try something like a 'call' function to call the .wav files from the computer?

Yes then all you need to do is to send the computer a message to tell it to play a .wav file.

You need a program running on your computer to receive that message and play the file. You have to write that in some language. One popular language to use is called Processing, it is free.

or perhaps you should try a raspberry pi. it is a computer running a linux-system on it. it has a sc-card-reader and it shold play all your music files you want to hear...
perhaps arduino is not the proper plattform for your goals?

Use the audio wave shield, it has SD reader and DAC for audio out and sounds good. Can then play as many sounds as you want.

OR

what I am thinking about doing if it works is use the UNO to read audio files from SD and output the digital sample data to a bluetooth module to link to a bluetooth speaker. Blutooth speakers are very cheap and easily available in the shops.
Has anyone experience of doing this......How do you send digital sample data from the UNO to a bluetooth module. I assume serial.??

You might be able to pull that off with mono sound. There is not enough processing bandwidth for stereo.

What if I want to store the files in FLAC on a portable HD like a Western Digital Passport?

Not enough processing power to do music decompression and move the data along from device to device.

What if I used a Pi? Here is what I am trying to build:

Design

1x USB Input
Asynchronus Conversion
1 x S/PDIF Optical Toslink Output
Display output OLED? LCD?
Play FLAC or PCM stereo files
Utilize foobar2000
Track Up/Down Play/Pause Controls
Folder Up/Down/Select Controls

Power Supply Conversion 12v DC to 5vDC?
Power supply needs to be strong enough to power MP and the portable HD
On/Off Switch
Ability to output 12v + DC for amplifier turn on

Ability to fit into the form factor of a standard DIN and half radio chassis

I am not familiar with Pi.
I believe it has much more processing power and could get you there.

From what I understand I may need 500mHz. So I guess a microprocessor is out of the question?

Yeah, I don't think you need 500 MHz. These guys didn't:

What you do need is a specialized chip that does the FLAC/MP3/other data decoding.
Or, something a bit faster than 16 MHz/8-bits wide to retrieve stereo .wav data and output it to a dual 16-bit DAC.

terrafirma:
From what I understand I may need 500mHz. So I guess a microprocessor is out of the question?

The Raspberry Pi runs at 800MHz without over clocking and is much more sutiable for what you want to do.

the wave shield is a shield for the UNO and does mono sound. It uses SPI port to read the WAV sound files on the SD card and bit bangs the digital sample data to the on-board serial DAC using 4 other pins and it has a speaker output.

Any ideas on how to do something similar but instead of output samples data to DAC output to Blutooth module for link to Bluetooth speaker........