Coming of age

So you're now a grumpy old fart man then?

I'm getting close to the old part and I've been practising the grumpy part for years.

Rob

I remember the days when you bought milk in a bottle, and the cream rose to the top.

Now, it's dozens of different milk "products". And we found out recently that even "normal" milk here is actually supplemented with "permeate" which is a by-product of other dairy production.

using permeate as an additive can save dairy processors the cost of disposing of the product.

I just checked that on WKPdia, no wonder there has been a fuss in Australia, getting rid of waste by watering down your product ! What a con.

Our milkman used to put stones ( that we left on the doorstep )on top of the bottles to keep the birds from nicking the cream, the good old days.

Ozzy Osbourne. When I was young, the typical parent blew a gasket if their kid was caught listening to his music. I had friends who lied and/or snuck-out to got to his concert. The parents of one friend gathered up and destroyed all his "devil music".

Now his music is used to sell family sedans on broadcast television. From a twisted devil worshiping satanist to Honda's front man. Talk about a generational change!

When I was young schools used to get a delivery of half (or third) pint bottles of milk for "morning recess". The crates of milk were just left in the sun in the schoolyard. You can imagine what it was like on a warm day, after it had been there for a few hours.

I love my milk cold, 25 years back we lived next to a smallholding, and our daughter would go an collect a 2 litre coke bottle of fresh milk, yellow at the top with cream, not pasteiurized , just " past our gate ". ( we are all still alive )
It was still warm, but I couldn't drink it until it had been in the fridge to chill.

"I'm getting close to the old part and I've been practising the grumpy part for years."

That why they keep sending you off to the outback Rob ?

My wife was looking over my shoulder the other day and asked " why do they all call that guy Grumpy Mike ? "

Yes and remember when organic food was just called food!

Yeah, I don't get how strawberries can be "organic". As opposed to what? Manufactured?

We used to pick up the horse manure from behind the coal cart for Grandad to put on the strawbwerries and rhubarb - that must be organic ?

i was born in 80... I had the milk in the bottle, i had all the old fashioned stuff, but i'm also used to all the new things you talk of as well.

I'm 31 or 32, and i'm already sick of getting older....

I remember when fireflies would almost fill the air some nights. And there were loads of birds and small animals. Then the 60's got rolling.

Not to forget:
We walked 5 miles to school and 5 back through 4 feet of snow uphill both ways!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

From the Monty Pythons sketch :slight_smile: http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

Happy B-Day, Boffin! I like to say, we don't have a lot of choice about growing older, but I refuse to grow up!

You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Rob

Boffin1:
We used to pick up the horse manure from behind the coal cart for Grandad to put on the strawbwerries and rhubarb

Very odd, we used to put cream on our strawberrys. ]:smiley:

Thanks mate

Its just numbers, I know some old 30 year olds, and some young 80 year olds ..

"Very odd, we used to put cream on our strawberrys."

boom boom ! :slight_smile:

You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

When I grow up I will think seriously about life - but not yet ..