Go Down

Topic: Cheese cave control (Read 7169 times) previous topic - next topic

nhbrewer

So how did this project turn out?  I am thinking to do something very similar for my cave but am also looking to use a nRF24 pair to pull the data over wireless for long term trending of my cave conditions which will also be handy for dialing in the hysteresis during startup. 

Col68

Nov 24, 2017, 11:16 pm Last Edit: Nov 24, 2017, 11:18 pm by Col68
Hello everybody,

I go back this post very old and I apologize. As I also make cheese at home I wanted to use this project,

only I galere with a module 2 potentiometer that I wanted to use to adjust the temperature and humidity values.

I can not find how to connect this dual potentiometer module to my arduino in order to realize the project, I opened a post about it in section France but not managed to finalize
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=513184.0

So I wanted to seek help in international.
The potentiometer module has 7 pins but I do not understand how to connect with arduino, if a connoisseur could help me I would be very happy,

thank you in advance.

Merci.

rockwallaby

I am not sure why such a project would use a potentiometer when everything can and for accuracy use digital control, such as buttons or rotary encoders ?

Looking at the wiring diagram for the board you are trying to use, it appears to me that each pot is a dual gang pot, one R1 and the other R2.

One side of each pot is labeled pin 1 and the other side is labeled pin 3, with the wiper being pin 2.
I guess, you will connect pin 1 to the 0V line and pin 3 to Vcc and possibly via an extra resistor in series, for example, 1kΩ.
Pin 2, the wiper will then be connected to your analogue input on the Arduino.

I haven't read this thread carefully to find out what the pot is used for, but I guess it is for temperature and humidity setpoint adjust ?

Again, I would not do it this way, if you have an LCD, then use buttons to adjust these setpoints.
You can do so much more with a few buttons or a rotary encoder and have a far more stable controller as you will possibly find the value of resistance from potentiometers may change with different environmental conditions and with time.

Santé

Col68

You are too strong Paul,
thank you with all my heart for your instructions, I would also prefer the buttons or a lcd with integrated button but my problem would be the code change to perform for the buttons :)

I am too amateur to change the coding c ' that's why I wanted to use this dual potentiometer module.
But I will try to find examples with button usage to see how to integrate in the code to replace the potentiometer, same for the screen,

I would like to use the 1602 display with I2C but it's an adventure for me that will start :) thank you very much dear Paul for your help,
respect to you.

Col68

Too bad for me it did not work, I think I share the bad technical sheet, a little smoke started and I disconnect not damaged.

The only way that I manage to control for example an LED is when I connect a battery 3V with the negative on the G of the potentiometer and the R1 + L1 on the positive of the battery.

I can at this moment turn the potentiometer coter right and see the light of the led vary.

If I connect the positive of the battery with L2 / R2 of the potentiometer and the negative with the G of the potentiometer,

I can see the led vary with the potentiometer coter left.

I am lost with this module, the arm wrestling is difficult,
thank you for your help,
cordially.

rockwallaby

Well, maybe if you are in France and the the time of your post would mean it was 02h49 which might not be a good time for working on electronics as the smoke likes to come out  :o

I have looked back at your many posts and can see that you have been trying for a long time now to make a controller for temperature and humidity for la cave pour le fromage.

I have built a controller some years ago for wheat silo temperature control using these parts and with buttons to allow navigation and adjustments for setpoints and could share this with you.

The other idea is that I will be making a small demonstration project using Arduino based parts to replicate what I do on an industrial scale. That is, I do environmental control for large agriculture crop storage systems. These systems use industrial control systems, costing a lot of money.

But, they do control temperature and humidity very accurately for store sizes of around 10,000 Tonnes of product.
I have been asked to develop a small, lower cost alternative using micro-controller based system.

So, if you are able to wait some time, I may be able to offer some assistance for your personal system.

Getting back to your potentiometers, I am thinking they are designed for audio and will most likely be logarithmic rather than linear which is what you will need.

I would strongly suggest not using this code and going back to some code you had used previously or to wait a while if you like to see if the project I will work on is suitable for you.

Col68

You are a genie Paul,

I do not want to take your time with my adventures, I am a worker at the factory small worker,
I do not want to disturb you but I would wait to see your share for the control of temperature and humidity thank you so much.

For the potentiometer I think I will buy compatible for Arduino or even better if I can turn my brain to understand to put buttons I would, now I respect you for your help, very big thank you.
I love you Paul.

Go Up