Ultimate small size mobile DSO!

DSO mobile is a pocket size digital storage oscilloscope fulfills basic electronic engineering requirements. It is base on ARM Cortex?-M3 compatible 32 bit platform, equipped with 320*240 color display, SD card capability, USB connection, and chargeable batteries. Weighs only 60g!

More details including final document and pre-order link will be available within this week.

;D

Neat! Will it play mp3s?? :slight_smile:

cool, I want one. :slight_smile:

What type of connector does it use for its probe?
Whats its max sample rate?

Cool look. What about the performances??

Any news on this yet? Specs, availability etc.?

Andrew

Click on this for the latest updates!

Or get one here!

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preordermicro-digital-storage-oscilloscopedso-nano-p-512.html

Note: It's preorder so you need to wait for few days . Thanks.

Are there any videos showing this in action?

A video will be available later.

To:JustinHoMi

No,i can't play MP3s...It'S A DSO~

Haha, I guess my sarcasm didn't come across.

Yes, i looks like a PMP but that's the reason of it's low price. Saved some money on making the shell.

I'm not criticizing it. I think it's awesome and a clever idea. I just bought an oscilloscope, and I'm broke... but I'm still tempted to buy one of these!

A DSO with MP3 play function... Sounds crazy, but not a bad idea for Protable DSO~lol

Forgive me for going off topic a bit, but, once again I will be showing my true colors (i.e. revealing that I'm a software person, and not an electronics-hardware person) by asking a simple question I can't wrap my head around.

Will someone please explain the functional difference between a digital scope and an analog one? Why can this digital scope cost so little, when it seems like even a low quality analog scope is a few hundred $$?

An analogue scope requires a CRT (Cathode Ray tube) with it's associated high voltage drivers and amplifiers. This cost money, is bulky and is not a very mass production item.

A digital scope just needs some A/D, a processor and some sort of display. All these items are small and cheap thanks to their components being used in consumer mass production items.

Do analog scopes have any advantages that justify the higher price?

Do analog scopes have any advantages that justify the higher price?

it's not that analog scopes cost more, it's just that:

• 1- digital scope price droped a little bit (or rather their performance improved...).
  • 2- there's some pretty cheap(not suitable for precision measure) digital scopes that were not existing a few years ago. and they cost way less

some years ago analog scopes could get to higher frequency, but that surely isn't true anymore, otherwise than that I do not see real advantage for anlog scopes...

what sure is that cheap digital scopes (like this one) are tiny, cheap and practical, but they are not the same kind of instrument. any analog scope is a precision measuring tool. I don't think any digital scope under 300$ can compete with analog scopes. analog scope compare to real digital scope (the not cheap kind). trying to compare them with this kind of device is like comparing apple and oranges.

otherwise than that I do not see real advantage for anlog scopes...

The big advantage I have found with analogue scopes is when you are looking at modulated signals. Digital scopes suffer from aliasing of the carrier that prevent detailed examination of the modulation. In my work with RFID readers I got a much better working tool by going back to an old analogue scope rather than using the ten times more expensive digital scope. So in general digital scopes are better but not always.

Thanks for the comments, you two. Hope I didn't derail this thread too far.

Another pic of working DSO nano

just a question on your dso.
it looks great, but the performance seems comparable to the arduino scope we saw not long ago, that seems a bit strange since the cortex M3 is much more beefier, will the sampling speed improve with some firmware updates?
also there's no way for it to display two channels? I was really hopeing it would with the first screenshot, but it seems it's just a memorised previous measure...