Centipede Shield - also a contest!

Ok brilliant. Yeah everything has been slow recently and that was before we had all the snow!

It'll be sliding its way towards me no doubt :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, i've been out on my mountain unicycle in the snow :smiley:

Mowcius

My centipede shield arrived three days ago. It's great!

Arghh, I want mine! :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

Did your Centipede shield ever get there, mowcius?

Still waiting, it was after another package that I am still waiting for that you sent it. My package before that was delayed by about 2 1/2 weeks and royal mail still has a backlog in inports as far as I know. Either that or some serious issue somewhere, anyway hopefully it'll come soon!

I have learnt to be patient recently! :wink:

Mowcius

Hehe, mine has arrived ;), and it's brilliant!

More pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowcius/sets/72157623154190142/

As you can see from the pictures, I used a double right angle socket on the end double row of pins to make it easier for prototyping, especially if it is used in a stack. This can still be used with a cable by using the double pin row as an 'adaptor'.

Just about to try some stuff with it now! :sunglasses:

Mowcius

It is brilliant but I cannot get it working...

I uploaded the example sketch and nothing...

I tried just running the setup and lighting up LED 13 (on the arduino) in the loop code but it doesn't seem to get to that code...

Anyone got any ideas?

Mowcius

You installed the Centipede library from here: http://macetech.com/Centipede.zip

And ran the example code from here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257672398/31#31

And nothing?

Do make sure you have a connection between pins 1 and 2 on the PWR jumper...

Are you saying that normal Arduino functions aren't working too?

What Arduino and IDE version are you using right now?

Normal arduino code is working...
I am running arduino 17
I have downloaded the library and tried your example code.

If I run this:

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Centipede.h>

Centipede CS; // create Centipede object
int ledPin = 13;

void setup()
{
  Wire.begin(); // start I2C
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  CS.initialize();
}

void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second
}

Then it stalls on the CS.initialize();

if I run it without the CS.initialize(); then I get LED flashy as would be expected...

Chip 1 looked like two or three of the bottom right pins were connected together upon closer inspection of the board. I used a very sharp knife to make sure that none of them are but still no joy to be found. Could it be that that caused some problem to start with and now the chips are bust?

Mowcius

Nope those are address pins, they are all supposed to be tied together to ground on IC1. If you did manage to separate them, you might want to bridge them together again.

I'm mostly confused with the stalling at CS.initialize(), it really sounds like a software problem at this point. I'll do some more testing tonight.

Any luck? I have not had time to fiddle with the library, is there a way I can check each chip by code?

Mowcius

The only way I can get the Arduino to freeze during execution is to pull one of the I2C lines to ground. You should carefully check along the I2C lines and make sure nothing is shorted to ground, maybe use a multimeter to verify. The I2C connections are on the bottom left corner of the chip if you look at it with pin 1 on the top left.

The only way I can get the Arduino to freeze during execution is to pull one of the I2C lines to ground. You should carefully check along the I2C lines and make sure nothing is shorted to ground, maybe use a multimeter to verify. The I2C connections are on the bottom left corner of the chip if you look at it with pin 1 on the top left.

Which way round is the board then?
Chips on the bottom and headers above?

Mowcius

It's easier to identify pin 1 on the chips as the pin nearest the dimple. In your photos I appear to have soldered the chips in the correct orientation, though there may be a solder bridge somewhere. It couldn't hurt to run a soldering iron on the chip leads again.

Ok, yes I will check all that and report back with an update when I have done that.

Thanks,

Mowcius

Hi Mr Macegr-Guru,

I'm looking for something that can provide so many inputs and outputs for my next project. Have you made the Centipede shield circuit diagram available?

Paul.

Hmm - wish I knew about this contest way-back-when (I wasn't a member of the forum then, though)...

I have an i-Cybie that absolutely needs a new micro-controller; I found the robot at a local Goodwill (its amazing what you can find at Goodwill). I found that the controller that is in it was never fully reverse-engineered, and the only real way that people found to custom control it was via an interface port for special "cartridges". The problem though was that these cartridges (which were some kind of flash) only came with the "deluxe unit" that had the "walk up" charger; you needed one of these carts to have the proper fingers to interface with the slot, and you had to be running Windows for the little code/hacking that was done...

...and the i-Cybie faded from memory (it was released at xmas when the PS2 was released - that basically killed it).

Which is too bad - it was basically an "el-cheapo" version of the Aibo; sometimes you can find them on Ebay.

I just need a controller with a ton of i/o ports, for all the motors, feedback sensors, etc that are in the device. Then again, I need another project like a hole in the head...

:stuck_out_tongue:

Well unfortunately it seemed it was just the thing I needed. I then won the competition (after the issues with the first winners), but probably due to a duff chip, I have never got it working. :frowning:

Mowcius

Is the centipede still available? I am restoring VW Squareback and will be using an Arduino to automate the electrical system. I need an I/O extender that can control 40+ inputs and outputs.