Got a 4 digit LCD but...

I had to buy it online as there is no electronics stores where I live.
The site where I bought the display does not show any description, brand or model about it.
So I'm a bit lost and wondering how to wire it :astonished:

The display is like this one

...but with 10 pins on each row.

Thanks in advance for any help

They are more difficult to drive than your typical lcds with controllers, as the mcu has to refresh the data constantly.

Your task #1 is to find the coms.

I found a data sheet:

http://www.datasheet4u.net/datasheet/T/W/M/TWM259_Shenzhen.pdf.html

Not particularly informative, but it does give the pinouts.

@Nick I think OP meant it wasn't actually that model, but a 10-pin-per-side similar one

Yes exactly, what Jimbo said.

dhenry:
Your task #1 is to find the coms.

No idea how to do it but I will start googling it.
Thank you.

Check the bottom, sometimes there is enough of a part number embedded to be able to find something.

JimboZA:
@Nick I think OP meant it wasn't actually that model, but a 10-pin-per-side similar one

Oh I see. That picture had 20 pins per side.

The site where I bought the display does not show any description, brand or model about it.

Doesn't sound like a bargain if you have no idea how to use it.

If you are going to buy online (as I do) I suggest you buy something that has Arduino support. Stuff like the displays from Adafruit, Sparkfun, etc.

No idea how to do it

Use your arduino to generate a (roughly) 100hz signal. Take the GND (or VCC) pin and the signal pin, and apply them to any two pins on the lcd.

As you slide around the signal pin, and see lots of segment liting up, the GND pin is on a com.

dhenry:

No idea how to do it

Use your arduino to generate a (roughly) 100hz signal. Take the GND (or VCC) pin and the signal pin, and apply them to any two pins on the lcd.

As you slide around the signal pin, and see lots of segment liting up, the GND pin is on a com.

Thank you. Luckily I managed to get the datasheet from the store!

Hi,
Let us know how it works out...

If you get to feel it's too much trouble and way too many pins to control, think about only 2 pins on an I2C controlled display like these:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/LCD-Blue-I2C

think about only 2 pins on an I2C controlled display like these:

Those are quite different animals.