Out of box problem uploading "blink" example program

I am a teacher and trying to use Arduino for the first time myself. I have been reading a lot about my problem and tried a few things but don't want to screw up my computer as most of what I'm reading is going over my head.

Operation System: Windows 10
Arduino Board: ProtoSnap - LilyPad Development Board Batch #95949

I have never managed to upload any previous files. This was my first test after installing the software to see if I had it working. I used the Blink program and did not make any edits at all to it. Selected LilyPad Arduino as my board and COM:4 as my port (there was a COM:3 as well that I tried but it also did not work).

I tried disabling my bluetooth port through Device Manage and then there were no Ports at all to select so I enabled it again.

Here is the error verbose output

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Windows 8.1), Board: "LilyPad Arduino, ATmega328P"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_778570/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The semaphore timeout period has expired.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Hi prior,

The informations are a little sparse, so I will try to guess the correct thing:
The USB->Serial connector you use is an original FTDI, a bogus "FTDI" or based
on a CH340 or another different chip?
(Background: I had all types of problems with bogus adapters. If it is a FTDI-
based adapter, check the serial number of that chip (I am no windows guru...but
that number may part of the driver informations). Search for that serial number
via Google. There quite some, which are known to be used for fake FTDI-chips.)

Does the voltage (3.3V vs. 5V) of your serial adapter match the voltage of your Lilypad?

Is the cableing OK (connection wise and the wires itsself) ?

Is it possible to check for the existence of COM4 without using Arduino related stuff?
When reconnecting the Lilypad while the Arduino is still open and the port is set, the
OS may assign a new COM-port (COM5,COM6...).

Is the baudrate OK?

Please execute an upload again with the settings mentioned in the logs you sent:

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

and repost the output here.
Please insert informations about the serial adapter (brand,seller,chipset,voltage,baudrate...)
Execuet "Get board Info" from the menu of the IDE and post the output here.
Maybe the help can be more specific then.

GOOD LUCK!
May the source be with you... :wink:
Cheers
mcc

I'd go with the adapter too - I had one with the " huge pine " chipset ( really) and never got it to work, even tho it appeared as a COM port

• Prolific seem to work best.

You could also try connecting tx to rx on your adapter to see if " loop back works" using the serial monitor

Incidently if you look at your computer motherboard you might find the board itself has a serial port ( COM 1) , but it's not bought out to the rear panel - that would do it nicely

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The semaphore timeout period has expired.

This error indicates your computer is not seeing the "FTDI Basic" board that fits between your PC and your Arduino at all. This means it's not a "baud rate problem" or anything wrong with the lilypad itself, so far as we can tell. I'd say that the most likely cause is that the drivers for the FTDI did not get properly installed. (If you're on a school computer, it may be that it has been made so "secure" that you'll need sysadmin help to install them...)
Which version of the software download did you install?
And just to be sure, you have this board, right, with things plugged together as shown? (if not, do you have a link to the board that you purchased?)

Thank so much. I was loaned this kit from the University of Adelaide computer science department so I don't know exactly where it was purchased. The box does say sparkfun.com on it.

The kit has not been opened before so I assume it is the correct board for the Lilypad: The info on the FTDI itself reads:

DTA AXI TXO 5V CTS GND BLK FTDIBasic 5V

I have power no problem and have set up the FTDI to the Lilypad no worries (saw the blinking lights flash when I connected it to my computer via USB) and have attached a picture of it set up.

I can't use GetBoardInfo (as seen in second screen capture)

I have put the verbose on for sure this time and will post on separate thread. It looks like COM4 Port access is denied may be the issue? Is this one for my SysAdmin at the school I work at or can I resolve this on my own (that could be a lot faster if I have permissions)

Thanks so much. I really want to get this going soon and use it in the classroom!

Sarah

setup.PNG

Compiling libraries...
Compiling core...
Using precompiled core
Linking everything together...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -w -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega328p  -o "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o" "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/..\arduino_cache_485563\core\core_arduino_avr_lilypad_cpu_atmega328_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a" "-LC:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262" -lm
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0  "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/Blink.ino.eep"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -R .eeprom  "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/Blink.ino.hex"
Sketch uses 928 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\SARAH~1.PRI\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_455262/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

One more thing to add:

On the plastic bag for the FTDI reads:

DEV - 10275
LilyPad FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V
Batch #94988

On the LilyPad Bag Reads:
SUB-11108
LilyPad Development Board - Assembled & Batch #95437

Also you asked where I downloaded the software from and the version:

(got the Windows version 1.8.4)

Screen capture of "About"

Version.PNG

979802dc42a54e5a9c4abcee1572a1481a3c4ae7.png

It seems likely to me that the FTDI drivers are not installed on your computer, and the COM4/COM3 ports you are seeing are not actually the Arduino port. (Can you look at the device manager to see if the ports exist BEFORE you plug in the arduino?) (The driver may have failed to install when you installed Arduino due to privilege issues.)

I did this screen capture before plugging in the Arduino. Thanks for helping me!!

Yep; no FTDI - the COM3 and COM4 shown are both bluetooth ports, probably associated with a cellphone or something. Are there some "unknown devices" anywhere in the device manager list?
Could you be using a "charge only" USB cable?

I doubt it. The USB Cable came with all the gear and is part of the Arduino out of the box gear. So what next?

I checked out Device Manager again but don't see any unknown devices anywhere. See capture.