GSM/GPRS shield sketch help....

Can anyone help me with a sketch for a gsm/gprs shield.

I need it to send me a text message if the temperature is above or under a set threshold.

Just a simple text message that tells me what the temperature is every 15 minutes or so until the temperature is back within the threshold.

I have an Arduino Uno, DS18B20 sensor, ESP8266 wifi, and the GSM/GPRS shield.

Since you have an ESP8266 I am assuming the location you want the temperature has functioning WiFi, if it does skip the GSM and use the WiFi connection to get out to a URL that can send text messages to your cell phone. Sign up for a Temboo account and go to Temboo Send SMS page and cut and paste. You will need to set up a Twilio account also as that is the service that actually sends the SMS message.

If you are trying to get worldwide external connectivity to your Arduino projects Temboo is a great resource, they have simplified many things you will want to do to cut and paste allowing you to focus on the measurements and/or control of your project while they handle the IOT side of things.

Or if it is easier, just have the arduino send me an email, is that something that is easy to set up. I have a sketch that gets the temperatures from sensors, and send it to thingspeak.com.
I just want some way to get a mail or message if the temperature is outside the set threshold...

frodv:
Or if it is easier, just have the arduino send me an email, is that something that is easy to set up. I have a sketch that gets the temperatures from sensors, and send it to thingspeak.com.
I just want some way to get a mail or message if the temperature is outside the set threshold...

In fact - send SMS using the GPRS-schild easier than sending emails from Arduino.

The reason - the inability to authenticate to the mail server using the Arduino.
You need to use a third-party service, such as Temboo.

Then I'll go for the shield, but I have no idea how to do it :slight_smile:

I have a working code to get the temperatures and send them to thingspeak.com, and have the charts posten on my website. I'm only missing the final piece of the puzzle. The sms temperature alert bit..

If you have your system connected to the internet click the link in my previous message go through sign up for the accounts and you should be sending yourself SMS messages within 15 minutes and not have to pay GSM access with your shield.

It is extremely easy, I was sending myself alerts within 15 minutes following the directions and providers shown in the link, give it a try.

wwbrown:
If you have your system connected to the internet click the link in my previous message go through sign up for the accounts and you should be sending yourself SMS messages within 15 minutes and not have to pay GSM access with your shield.

It is extremely easy, I was sending myself alerts within 15 minutes following the directions and providers shown in the link, give it a try.

Hi, I tried using the link you sent, but I didn't get it to work. I think it has something to do with that I don't use a wifi shield but the esp8266 wifi tranciever, and I don't know how to change the sketch to use this instead of a wifi shield.

The Temboo and Twilio accounts are in order, and I verified the number, set it up and got a sketch, but I also got an error when I tried the URL saying something about a FROM number....