Go Down

Topic: DS1307 read error! (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

cattledog

At those current levels, you can certainly try the motor driver. In the long run, it would be more simple to replace the relays with a logic level mosfet or npn transistor.

stevelondon2

At those current levels, you can certainly try the motor driver. In the long run, it would be more simple to replace the relays with a logic level mosfet or npn transistor.
Would the diode work that you was talking about? And if so, did you see any on that website that I linked? Its a shop near to me.

cattledog

Aug 08, 2017, 01:19 am Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 06:44 pm by cattledog
Would the diode work that you was talking about? And if so, did you see any on that website that I linked? Its a shop near to me.
In the maplin catalog you linked, they show the 1N400X series available. I think with your voltages you could use the 4001 or 4002. My preference would be for the 1N4002 if they are available.

Since you are fighting an unknown problem and the diodes are cheap, I would put them across all inductive loads. That is--the motors, and the relays. You have indicated the without the motors you don't see the problem, so I would install them there first, and work your way back.

If you switch from the relay to an npn transistor or a logic level mosfet, than you will need them across the motor.

stevelondon2

Like this one? Photo attached.

Is a rectifier the same thing? What about a zener? Also how do I pick a rated voltage, does the rated voltage of the diode need to be above 250mA?

Thanks. Steve.

stevelondon2

Sorry, now it's attached.

cattledog

Aug 08, 2017, 04:29 pm Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 04:38 pm by cattledog
Is a rectifier the same thing?
Yes,  rectifier is another name for a diode. IN4001 or IN4002 will be OK.  http://www.vishay.com/docs/88503/1n4001.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

does the rated voltage of the diode need to be above 250mA?
ma is a current, not a voltage. The key specification is the reverse DC blocking voltage which I have seen should be 4 or 5x the motor voltage which is 12v. Both diodes meet that criteria, but the iN4002 will block more.

stevelondon2

Sorry, I meant current not voltage. Silly me.

I have bought some today, I got some silicone and some glass, what would you suggest and how would I go about fitting them? Do they run in line or across the terminals?

cattledog

Do they run in line or across the terminals?
They are wired directly across the motor or relay terminals with the cathode (striped end) to the positive side of the circuit. Not inline.

I'm concerned that you are asking this question, and have not done enough reading about diodes and their uses.

stevelondon2

Sorry for delay in replying.

Firstly yes I'm sorry, I did have a look at 4 websites to research recitifiers and it went straight over my head. There was paragraphs and paragraphs and all sorts of technical jargon which I didn't have a clue about. I couldn't find any simple lay man explanations that I could understand. I did try.

And guess what, it's only gone and worked!!  I fitted them earlier today and no more errors! I can finally move on with my project.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. Couldn't have done it without you.

cattledog

Good job getting the problem fixed.

Did you leave the relays, or did you replace them with transistors?

stevelondon2

No I've kept the relays at the moment because I've been working so literally soldered the flybacks on, tested for half hour and went to work. Will do some more strenuous testing to make sure it don't relapse and take it from there.

Thanks again though.

gpop1

grats on staying with it and finding the problem

Something else that you may find interesting (depending on the arduino being used) is the watchdog timer.

If you only have one arduino, its a offbrand or its more than a few years old you have to be very careful and go for the max 8 second restart until you are sure it works. (you can brick a arduino with this code then you will have to re-flash it)

I use this on a incubator that has to run non stop and its a handy tool especially if the rtc is being powered by the arduino. For some reason during bad storms even with surge and battery back up my rtc will lock up (the arduino doesn't)  so I monitor the rtc then reset the arduino.
  I keep meaning to add more code to remove the possibility of getting stuck in a loop on a rtc failure and switching to a millis timer to keep everything working but that's something for another day.     

stevelondon2

Hi. I had a problem a little while ago whereby some motors on my project kept tripping up my DS1307RTC unit and halting everything. I was advised to install some flyback diodes across the motors which i thought had worked but in my final phase of testing the project just now, the fault seems to be back, albeit not as much.

My questions is... is there any other way of holding time in Arduino other than an RTC? I spent weeks before trying to resolve the above issue and cannot spend more so thought it would be easier to just remove the RTC and try a different way.

Things I need time to do...

1. Display time in hours, minutes and seconds on a monitor device.
2. Allow functions to trigger such as turn motors on and off (all driven via a relay bank)

Ps. I am using a smartphone/tablet application called Blynk to control/monitor all of the functions.

Thanks, Steve.

johnwasser

An RTC is the normal way.

If you have a view of the sky you can get time from a GPS module.

If you have an Internet connection you can get the time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1G2qoGwMRXx8az71DVP1E81jShxtbSh5Hp

stevelondon2

Guess what... final rounds of testing of the project and the error is back. I found it to still be causing an issue after it happened whilst dosing with the offending pumps and it stayed on spilling water all over the place because it didn't turn off.

I thought out had fixed it!!! Now its not happened when it comes on and off, it happens if the motor is on for a prolonged period of time, Ie the error appears after say 10-15 seconds of already being on. Grrrrrrrr

Go Up