FT232RL

Hey guys, recently I just bought a FT232RL chip from RS. So, I would like to ask, how can I connect that to my AVR chip so that I can program my AVR chip just through the USB cable ?

Any schematic ?

Thank you

What is RS? Did you buy a bare chip or a board?

Look at the Duemilanove schematic for an example of connecting them, it's not very complicated at all.

Erm, is that we just connect CCC, gnd, txd and rxd to the avr chip?

Here's the FTDI part of a schematic I used for a board a while back.

I'm not sure if it's the FT232RL but I think so.

Rob

FTDI232.pdf (10.8 KB)

So the bottom left ( DTR, TXD and RXD is connected to the atmega ? connect to which pin of atmega ?

Thank you

The FT Txd and Rxd connect to the Atmega Rxd and Txd. Look at the arrows on the chip to see the direction of the signals.

The left side of C5 goes to Reset. I would compare this against an Arduino schematic as well.

Rob

So, just this 3 pins is connected to the atmega ? Excluded the VCC and GND to chip

Graynomad:
The FT Txd and Rxd connect to the Atmega Rxd and Txd. Look at the arrows on the chip to see the direction of the signals.

The left side of C5 goes to Reset. I would compare this against an Arduino schematic as well.

Rob

What is the thing in 500mA ?? Curious

Vincent19:

Graynomad:

Rob

What is the thing in 500mA ?? Curious

That is a 500ma fuse to protect your PC in case you ever try to draw too much current from the USB +5vdc voltage source.

Lefty

This one ?

So, just this 3 pins is connected to the atmega ? Excluded the VCC and GND to chip

Yep.

This one ?

Not normally although I guess it would work. There are many SMD fuses around that people usually use. This sort of thing

Rob