My RGB LED Stairs Illumination video

funkyguy4000:
Well i mean a series circuit is, for example, having leds one after another on one line of power. Where as a paralell would be more having 1 led part off into its own line and then reconnect.

Are you using any capacitors on your project?

Gotcha.....the control circuit is series but the LEDs would be parallel. Each is individually powered and sunk to its own pin on the TLC5940. Yes, I am using capacitors. A 100nf and 10uf capacitor worked fine in breadboard but then when I powered the breadboard from my wall wart and 5v regulator, it had issues so replaced a couple 100nf with 1000nf and no more issues. It would have likely worked with just the 100nf once everything was on PCB because another noise issue on the breadboard causing intermittent flickering went away as well.

The VR I'm using is rated at 1.5A so I am pretty much peaking it out. When I used a 12V power source, it got over 300°F and went into thermal shutdown which is why I started using the 7.5V power source. If I run all the lights at maximum brightness (RGB on each LED) for an extended period of time, it will still get pretty hot but won't go into thermal shutdown. But since I'm not ever running at full power but for brief transitions, and most of the time it is well below 1A, it only gets slightly warm. I'm still putting small fan in the box it will reside in just to be on the safe side though.