Flex Sensor and Mini 8X8 LED Matrix????

I don't have a flexsensor, but I have a pot.
I didn't want to rig up a bunch of LEDs (it's your project), but I have a bulb that pulls 120mA (considerable draw), used a MOSFET. So, I rigged that much up and used the following sketch; pretty short and sweet --

/*
   read pot (sensor)
   result PWM
   repeat
*/
const byte sensorPin = 3;
const byte lightPin = 0;
int sensorval;

void setup() 
{
  pinMode (lightPin, OUTPUT);
}

void loop ()
{
  sensorRead();
  analogWrite (lightPin,sensorval);
}

void sensorRead ()
{
  delay(10);
  sensorval = analogRead(sensorPin);
  sensorval = sensorval/4;  //  1024/4 = 256
  if (sensorval < 20)       // for solid OFF "zone"
  {
    sensorval = 0;
  }  
}

I used an ATtiny85 instead of a full-blown Arduino, but, again, same difference.
For the analogWrite pins, use one of the designated PWM pins (D13 is not one.)
For the analogRead, use A0-A5.

> > > I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention - you've bought a matrix already.
I don't have any good suggestions for that (other than not using it.) You'll have to home-run 16 wires or something (not good)? I'm not a 7219 maven. Code intensive little things for being so "handy".
So, I guess your dilemma is: How To Vary the Intensity of LEDs with a 7219?

Also, with a 5x7, say, being a rectangle, basically everyone wants to reckon that as 5 columns and 7 rows.
But a square has as many rows as columns, so whether it's column cathodes or column rows is more, to me, in the eye of the beholder. Page 3 of your linked PDF shows how they figure though. I guess, looking at the labelled side with the pins pointing down, pin 1 is on the left (and pin 16 is directly opposite it on the other side.)