14 Track Drum Machine with 16 Steps

Wusik Drum Machine (Hardware Arduino Project)

Dear Users, this is a special side-project that I - WilliamK - am working on. Please, visit the following link for a special YouTube feature video, or use the other link below. (what in 480p)

http://arduino.wusik.com/

We kindly ask users to help us out with this project, as its a small project that we always wanted to do. The time-frame is short so once its done we will continue working on Wusik Station. But we also want to work on some other Arduino and XMOS based projects. Still, it all depends on the amount of support we can get from the community. So, be sure to visit the page above for more details.

Cheers, WilliamK and MoniKe @ Wusik Dot Com

I've been working on something similar but your way ahead of me. Very cool. Nice work!

Very nice! Where did you get the LED Push Buttons, I'd love to get some!

Thanks guys.

Here's the button-led I'm using. But to be honest, using regular buttons and separated leds are much cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4pcs-6x6-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Momentary-Tact-LED_W0QQitemZ110627360487QQcategoryZ58166QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D270667651743%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6140010228460478628

Oh, and those look like fun too!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/4pc-12x12-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Momentary-Tact-LED_W0QQitemZ270677544033QQcategoryZ58166QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D270667651743%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6140026959775701689

BTW: tomorrow I will try to post another video of Beta 2 phase. Now the LEDs blink when playing, like most retro DM did. (TR707, 808 and 909) Also, I fixed some problems with the multi-buttons (Up/Down/...) as seen on the video. :wink: I also managed the thing to use less RAM, so, maybe I will introduce some more features to it, as there's just near 1K of RAM used. :o

Wk

Here's the new video:

Wk

And here's the latest video of the new 32 x 1/32 Steps mode. (or 1/64)

:sunglasses:

Still using less than 1K of RAM.

Cheers, WilliamK and MoniKe

Here's yet another video: Song Mode (RC)

Wk

Real wusik =)))

Accents track and grid switching is cool. Shift button is not.

Dude, thanks, but you are comparing grapes with oranges here. That other project is HUGE, and I bet its 10x the cost of our project. :wink: (I see 16 rotary encoders, those are NOT CHEAP!!!)

And why you didn't like the Shift button? Its very easy to use. In any event, a future update could include a way to add all options as single buttons, but for now, we are trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

Wk

Guys, all the software is done, and also the specs for V1, which is very cheap to build. I haven't got time to build a shield for this, as it is a lot of work, but depending on what people need we may do a single shield for V1.

Now, for V2 it uses several other parts and requires little to no soldering at all.

Lets talk more about this, so we know what people want and can keep working on this, slowly, but steady. :wink:

Best Regards, WilliamK

Dear User, we just uploaded new files for the Wusik Arduino Drum Machine project.

Also, we will not email users for a while, instead, lets talk in this Arduino Forum Thread.

The file WDMachine 16 Steps LEDs and Buttons.fz now has everything to add the leds and buttons to the project.

BTW: We used the following buttons+leds combo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4pcs-6x6-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Momentary-Tact-LED_W0QQitemZ110627360487QQcategoryZ58166QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D270667651743%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6387562185790585443

But as you can see from the schematics, you can also use regular buttons and leds. (cheaper)

There will be a V2 of the project which uses other solutions, but are more expensive, so you can either wait or go with the solution for now. (which works great)

We will release a new video soon, with some talks about this project, but for now, please, use the forum post link above so we can discuss things better.

Best Regards, WilliamK

And here's the new video, just a quick explanation of the breadboard.

Wk

V1.0.1 Uploaded - cleaned the code up and added a Readme.txt file with basic information.

Wk

BTW: we could do a complete shield option for V1, but it would depend on how many people would actually want it. :wink:

The shield would be just like the youtube videos, using those fancy button+led from eBay that I posted before.

So its like this:

LCD
Navigation buttons
16 buttons+LEDs
Midi Out
Extra EEPROM (2 chips for 120Kb)

Of course, the shield wouldn't be stackable, and it would be larger than a regular Uno/2009 board. But still, you would just plug the board and its ready to go. (after you solder everything up, of course)

Just wondering if people would want something like that...

Wk

hi!
just registered, and just bought the project today.
i can't get started right now, i have to order my arduino first, and some other components. as this is my very first arduino related project i'm sure i'll have some stupid questions....
but first i'll have to make the schematics a little easier to read in fritzing and sort out what questions i can answer by myself :slight_smile:

btw what do you mean with the shield you'd like to produce, would that be sth like a pcb that has everything on it, so one wouldn't need the arduino board and the sparkfun midi board?
cool project so far!

Thanks for supporting out work.

Any question, feel free to ask, and there are no stupid questions, only shy. :wink:

The shield would go on top of the arduino, so you would still need the arduino board. :wink: But its a lot of work to do the shield, so unless more people ask for this, I wouldn't do it...

Wk

WDMachine_V102_Code.zip Uploaded

Wk

Some great news, I just added 2 tracks of step-note sequencing, called S1 and S2 (as Step or Synth) There's Note-Off and Slide too for each step. :sunglasses: The patter size did increase, so using the internal At328 EEPROM won't do much, but on my Mega I get more than 10 patterns. Still, with the extra EEPROM you will get much more space. :wink:

I will upload the new code once its totally done and bug-free, and also do a new video.

Wk