Recommend me a DC Motor :)

Unfortunately I'm a mechanical engineer and I've never taken an electrical subject besides basic circuit analysis :(. Thankfully I came through a trade school and did quite a bit of electronics so I've got a decent understanding. (of the basic's). You ask my course peers what's a transistor they haven't a clue.

We ask the lecturer's are we going to learn anything about electronics', IC controllers, motors. No it's a “mechanical design subject” gotta laugh since the 2nd device has to be electrical. Its our first design subject, never made anything before since the uni primarily focus's on the theory not the practical side.

What makes it worse, is we already pay for our course than the uni says by the way you have to fund this too yourselves; which is quite harsh when you gotta buy books, software, take a loan for yea course. Its the way the cookie crumbles unfortunetly

The electrical books ive basically been through are all circuit analysis, rms feeds, micro controllers, mosfets, NOS transistors, Resonant circuit, load line analysis, Zener diodes etc all don't help with this. Im not asking for a design at all, our group has got one just simply what would drive the device.

From what I've read I'm under the understanding its harder to control a higher “RPM” motor due to the lower internal resistance. Thus if we stop the current running through the motor it still rolls on due to momentum. A lower torque motor, doesn't have as much momentum and wont move as far when we cut the current to it. Problem with this type of motor from my understanding is it cannot move a device with a high weight.

I'm just simply trying to cut down buying and trying technique since we have spent enough already and everything has to be mail order with shipping fees :frowning: (the electronics stuff basically) If you can point me in the right direction of where to look since “we our group” hasn't had much luck.

Cheers Trent
When u say "cribbing" jack im assuming you mean cheating??? (We ask people in the field quite abit and its not stealing idea's thats research :slight_smile: )