Long distance communication

I am planning a project with many outputs and alarms. This will work well on a 20x4 LCD screen. But I need to see the same info on another LCD screen (located in another building) about 50m away.
How can I do that?

I bought "433Mhz RF Transmitter With Receiver Kit For Arduino" from Banggood, but it seems the range is less than 10m.

I considered WiFi, but according to https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield, this is retired?

Can this be done with an ethernet cable? I don't really want to go that route if I don't have to.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Long range radio coms 20 Miles open space 1.2 miles urban ( through buildings ) two links but same thing:-

http://www.cooking-hacks.com/documentation/tutorials/extreme-range-lora-sx1272-module-shield-arduino-raspberry-pi-intel-galileo

You will need to check the wireless regulations in your country before using any long range radios.

Weedpharma

I bought "433Mhz RF Transmitter With Receiver Kit For Arduino" from Banggood, but it seems the range is less than 10m.

A link is far better than a vague description. What kind of antenna are you using? What baud rate?

XBees would meet your range requirement, though they are a bit pricey.

The NRF24 radios are cheaper, and will probably meet your range requirement.

Jozi68:
about 50m away.

I presume this means 50 metres rather than 50 miles ?

I reckon a pair of nRF24's should be good for that distance. You may need the ones with the external antennas.

...R

I reckon a pair of nRF24's should be good for that distance.

Lots of info on nRF24xx on the ArduinoInfo.Info WIKI HERE:

I reckon a pair of nRF24's should be good for that distance.

Through a building? I would have thought not.

Grumpy_Mike:
Through a building? I would have thought not.

Won't be very expensive to try it out - unless you mean "definitely not"

...R

terryking228:
Lots of info on nRF24xx on the ArduinoInfo.Info WIKI HERE:

@terryking228:
Do you have a connection to that site?
There is that awful YD_nRF24L01_Receive_JoyStick example,
which moderates loop() by blocking on Serial.

Robin2:
Won't be very expensive to try it out - unless you mean "definitely not"

...R

Well given that the link I posted has 20 Miles open space 1.2 miles urban ( through buildings ) that is only 6% of the range. Take 6% of the quoted range of the nRF24 and what do you get. Of course it depends on a lot of factors, like building construction and intervening buildings, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Wireless routers have been used over long distances. You might check the ESP8266 modules.

Thank you all for all the advice

A link is far better than a vague description

I bought this: 433Mhz RF Transmitter With Receiver Kit For Arduino
No antenna, but I've ordered this: Banggood antennas

However, it is becoming very clear to me that it will not work.

I will look into the NRF24L01 and ESP8266, but now I'm also considering getting a 50m 3-core wire, and just linking the 2 arduinos. something like this:

But it seems having two separate power sources could be a problem.

So I quess it will be between NRF24L01, ESP8266 and a serial connection.
Not sure which of the 3 options will be best. I will need to do a lot more research.

Two power sources is no problem. What is a problem is getting a TTL signal over 50m of wire. You should use some drivers at each end. Something like an RS232 driver, this boosts the signal to +/- 12V. There are other types of drivers as well.

I will look into the NRF24L01 and ESP8266, but now I'm also considering getting a 50m 3-core wire, and just linking the 2 arduinos. something like this:

It would be good to clarify if that 50m means 50 meters, 50 miles, or 50 microns.

The APC220 radios claim a range of 1000 meters (line if sight) and are much easier to use than RF24 or ESP8266. APC220 RF serial port

groundfungus:
and are much easier to use

I should hope so at that price.

...R

It would be good to clarify if that 50m means 50 meters, 50 miles, or 50 microns.

50m = 50metres

The APC220 looks interesting, but the price is a bit high.

I've decided to get a pair of these:

Now my next question would be: What thickness of wire do I need to use for a distance of 50 meters?

Search for "Cat5" cable.
Buy from a reputable supplier. Beware of fake cat5 cable that contains copper clad steel or aluminium conductors instead of copper.

mikb55:
Search for "Cat5" cable.
Buy from a reputable supplier. Beware of fake cat5 cable that contains copper clad steel or aluminium conductors instead of copper.

Cat5 cable? Now you have me completely confused. I was convinced that the RS485 modules uses 2 wires. The cat5 cable consists of 8 wires as far as I know.