Arduino0023 & Windows7 crashes at end of downloading sketch.

Hi All,
FWIIW, I downloaded Arduino23 yesterday. Since then, I have not been able to download many sketches to a ATmega328, which worked OK with Arduino22.
The sketch compiles OK, seems to down load OK and at the time that it seems to be finished, I get the Windows Blue Screen.
I tried different

• Arduino targets.
  • sketches ( very small into sketches seem to be ON)

PC seems to be working quite OK in other respects.
I have reverted back to Arduino0022 and all seems to be working OK again. (???)

Board?

Ah yes, I had forgotten that detail.
I have tried it on two Arduino Pro Atmega328 +5V 16Mhz. Uses MAX232 & USB to RS232 convertor, ( several types of convertor were tried in case I had a crook one) & an ArduinoMega1280 with on-board USB.
I have a feeling it is not board related. I have loaded about 20 sketches without incident since going back to V22
A look at the blue screen minidumps seems to suggest that ser2pl.sys is likely to be the cause, but a search for that file does not find it??.

You may want to spend a bit more time with Google. It took me less than 15 seconds (literally) to find this...

Fair comment! I searched my drives rather than Google!
I will follow up that lead, but it talks about XP and I would have thought that I had the latest drivers since it is not an old PC. But you never know. It is very strange that with Arduino 22 I am having no problem (nor have I had since it was released), but then Windoze is a strange beast. I will report back my findings.
Thanks for the help!

rexlee:
I will follow up that lead, but it talks about XP and I would have thought that I had the latest drivers since it is not an old PC.

You may actually have the latest kernel driver. But that does not preclude it from having a bug.

If your computer is 32 bit, it is possible the driver has not changed since XP was released.

It is very strange that with Arduino 22 I am having no problem (nor have I had since it was released)

That is odd. The differences between 0022 and 0023 are very minor.

But, bugs in kernel drivers are strange that way. For example, very very minor differences in hardware timing can awaken an otherwise long dormant bug.

I will report back my findings.

Please do.

Thanks for the help!

You are welcome and good luck.