Arduino Speak and Spell and MIDI

Yet another Speak Spell Project

Hello,
I'm starting a new project to control a Speak and spell machine with Midi using my arduino

Actually the project is only starting, and it is not usable yet ..

Currently i've created a "interface" form Arduino to S&S because the S&S is PMOS technology and it work a +6V and -12V.

I've found the way to get it Speak, but i'm getting some difficulties to get each time the same sound ..

For info, the sound are glitch and loop but i'm not doing classic circuit bending to get theses sound, i' sending data to the Speech synthetiser to get it speak.

you can follow the Project here :http://noizeinabox.blogspot.com/
but as i'm only starting there is not very interesting thing on it at the moment ..
Will update with Schematics and code shortly..
If someone already did work with the S&S Speech synth, help is always welcome..

xray303

If someone already did work with the S&S Speech synth, help is always welcome..

I've never worked with one; I haven't been able to find one - plus the technology is so old and not made anymore, it isn't worth it - Speak and Spells are also considered (by some) to be collectors items - keep that in mind (ie, if you ruin it, you could be kicking yourself in a couple of decades, as their value is only climbing).

I do know they were popular back in the 1980s for robot builders to use as a speech synthesizer; I honestly thought I had a book (or maybe a magazine?) that showed an interface, but I haven't been able to find it.

Hmm - I just looked and found the TI Design Manual for the TSP50C0x/1x Family - as well as the data manual for the TMS 5220 (which I think is the one used in the Speak and Spell). The first is a 1 MB PDF, the second is a 7.5 MB PDF; maybe I can post them up on my website later this evening...

:slight_smile:

Hi,

for the interface, i think it is this website. :
http://sites.google.com/site/analogvocoderinfo/speak-spell
I've taken a lot of info from there.

as i know in the S&S, it is a TMS5100, which is quite different.

I know that it is now a collector, but sometime you can find cheap ones on ebay.

xray303

for the interface, i think it is this website. :
http://sites.google.com/site/analogvocoderinfo/speak-spell
I've taken a lot of info from there.

That is an interesting article - though it doesn't give what the chip ID/number is...

as i know in the S&S, it is a TMS5100, which is quite different.

TI made several different voice chips - and those PDF files are all I have; and one of those chips was referenced by a collectors site. Maybe the best thing to do would be to open your S&S up, and see what chip you have? Maybe TI used different chips on different revs...?

I know that it is now a collector, but sometime you can find cheap ones on ebay.

Well - sorta-kinda now - but in probably a decade or two, once everyone else has kitbashed and circuit-bended (or just plain ripped the guts out for a robot!) all the old Speak-n-Spells, those that are still in "pristine" condition will be worth something. Probably not enough to retire on, but maybe enough to make you wish you hadn't modded yours...

Your choice though - I could be completely wrong about the future, too!

;D