Regression between uno and uno R2 VALIDATED. HARDWARE PROBLEM CONFIRMED

westfw:
I've submitted Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
I don't know for sure if that's a good place to submit HW bugs, but I don't see an official alternative.

well, a week has passed, and apart from someone confirming the reset problem on a duemilanove (!) the google code 'issues' page (above) has fallen silent. i really do find myself wondering if anyone who should care does?

am also seeing various folks on here and elsewhere having major problems talking to their arduinos, and nobody offering any concrete solutions. it seems to me that hooking up an arduino to your PC should be straightforward and simple. for each platform (windows, linux, mac) there should be a simple procedure to test drivers and hardware, that works independently of the arduino IDE - for instance loop back RxD and TxD and run a small program that simple writes text and verifies it returns to provide a 100% confirmation of driver + serial hardware.

i wonder if at least some of the strife folks are seeing is their 328 processor being incapacitated (in a not-easily reversible way) by a spike on the RESET line followed by 'random' data sent to the arduino as the IDE tries to communicate.