Anybody here participating in Stanford's Online AI/ML Classes?

I just started watching the first week of lectures and quizes last night; I can't wait until homework and programming is involved (I'm doing the "advanced" track on both, for some insane reason).

:slight_smile:

Not I crOsh.

III. LINEAR ALGEBRA...

Anybody here participating in Stanford's Online AI/ML Classes?

If I had the time.

This is just the third official day of both courses - and I'm starting to wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew!

What with the amount of watching the lectures, taking notes, reading - and then later quizes, homework, programming (in the ML class in something like Matlab - called Octave - so learning a new programming language too!)...

All of this, and the last time I really played with matrices and vectors was about 10 years ago for a 3D coding project in VB...

Joy...

:slight_smile:

"starting to wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew"

Nah, just wash it down with another beer 8)

I'm signed up for the advanced track on both because they both look really interesting, but now I think I'll drop down to basic so I can focus on my real homework...
I would recommend that anyone remotely interested sign up for the basic track, just so you can read the assignments and watch the lectures.

Stanford is doing a bunch more online classes starting in Feb:
http://www.cs101-class.org/ is Computer Science 101.
Also classes in Entrepreneurship, civil engineering, information theory, natural language processing, cryptography, Anatomy, and more...

westfw:
Stanford is doing a bunch more online classes starting in Feb:
http://www.cs101-class.org/ is Computer Science 101.
Also classes in Entrepreneurship, civil engineering, information theory, natural language processing, cryptography, Anatomy, and more...

Many of these sounded quite interesting to me when they were announced, but I'm not going to pursue any of them at this point. I ended up dropping the AI class, and concentrating on the ML class, due to some "life circumstances". I was actually doing quite well in both, but these changes (which involved me resigning from my job on Oct 27th, then getting hired by a new company, making more money, on November 6th!) forced me to make some hard choices.

I've found the ML class to be both engaging and fun, as well as challenging. I found the AI class to be very challenging while I was taking it (especially week 3, which was everything about probabilities and statistics - that was a "trial by fire", but I made it through it!). There was too great of a time commitment to continue with both, ultimately.

I would love to take the classes on entrepreneurship, natural-language processing, cryptography, and human-machine interfaces - all at the same time (and throw in the AI class, too!) - but I feel that if I tried, that I would need two of myself to keep it all straight. Not to mention, I would need to find some other way to pay my bills besides working, because I couldn't have a full-time job and do all of the above as well.

However, I would encourage anyone who thinks they can pull it off to try some or any of the classes, as many as they can (especially if they still living at home with their parents without having a mortgage, bills, a family, or a job)!

:smiley: