Arduino Mega and Official WiFi Shield

Team, I guess this is nothing new but I have unsuccessfully trying to find an answer..

I got my brand new Official WiFi Shield, pluged into my Arduino MEGA2560, loaded the ScanNetworks (ARduino 1.0.1) sketch and I'm getting the "WiFi shield not present" error message.

I've searched the forum, the internet and the Encyclopedia Britannica and I'm not sure what to do next...should I start by upgrading the "Atmega8U2" as explained in http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2 ?

The instructions there doesn't help much either to identigy if I should or shouldn't...as a matter of fact the driver version I'm getting is: 5.1.2600.0 dated 15/11/2007

The article by Jensa How to update the official Arduino Wifi Shield seems to be a good starting point but before getting into this somehow complicated process I want to make sure I'm in the right track.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance (I'm sure is going to help others as well...)

Best!!

hello, sorry for bad english

I got this shield yesterday and i have the same problem.
I see that when you start the serialwindow after the server.begin the connection is lost and you must
not only reset the shield but disconnect the electrical input. Put a delay(5000) before the serverbegin, then connect the electrical input ,send the sketch and open the serialwindow and that's work.
Another problem i see:
When you read the page with your webbrowser if you stop your read before the end, anything is lost and when you try again that's not work, the client.available is not more detected.
I have no idea how to resolve that and i am very interresting for any suggestion.

Guys, I found a picture of the Wifi shield (http://multilogica-shop.com/arduino-wifi-shield) with a wire jumper on the back of the board (see attached picture).

I tried it and my board started to work.

I know this is extremely weird because I wasn't able to find any explanation about it, but the fact is that it works.

I wonder why the Arduino crew don't make things more explicit, easy for us...

Hope it helps

Best!

Arduino_WiFi_shield_M_2.jpg

Hi Simon,

I have the same issue and I also have a Mega2560:

WiFi shield not present
WiFi shield not present

Also, my wifi shield already came with the green wire on the back.

I tried to upgrade the firmware with the github version without success:

ludo@titan> sudo ./ArduinoWifiShield_upgrade.sh -a ~/src/arduino-1.0.2 -f all
       Arduino WiFi Shield upgrade
=========================================
Disclaimer: to access to the USB devices correctly, the dfu-programmer needs to be used as root. Run this script as root.

****Upgrade HD WiFi module firmware****

dfu-programmer: no device present.

Remove the J3 jumper then press the RESET button on the shield then type [ENTER] to upgrade the firmware of the shield..

****Upgrade WiFi Shield firmware****

Done. Remove the J3 jumper and press the RESET button on the shield.
Thank you!

I also observe something somehow troubling, the L9 LED turn off quickly after the board boot. Worst, if I hold the wifi shield from the side (with my finger) the L9 turn on. I know..

I have similar behaviour with and without external DC power.

Please notice this is my very first attempt playing with Arduino, so I am definitely a newbie.
Finally, yesterday (the first time I use it), the wifi-shield was working fine (I could run the WPA example) and connect my network.

I will look at this again tomorrow, good night! :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I still have no luck making my wifishield (rev3) working with my Arduino Mega2560 (rev3).

I upgraded the shield but, it does not solve the issue:

$ sudo ./ArduinoWifiShield_upgrade.sh -a ~/src/arduino-1.0.2 -f shield

Arduino WiFi Shield upgrade
=========================================
Disclaimer: to access to the USB devices correctly, the dfu-programmer needs to be used as root. Run this script as root.

****Upgrade WiFi Shield firmware****

Validating...
257620 bytes used (101.44%)

Done. Remove the J3 jumper and press the RESET button on the shield.
Thank you!

But it still don't work.
I also find this thread (in French) describing the same symptoms:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,128531.0.html

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Ludo

Hi all,

I have it working using an external power source (DC, 12v, 500mA).
So my conclusion is simply the USB connection with the laptop do not provide enough power for the Mega2560+WifiShield.

I update the wifi setup like bellow so if I can plug the external power after the reset:

// check for the presence of the shield:
  while (WiFi.status() == WL_NO_SHIELD) {
    Serial.println("WiFi shield not present");
    // don't continue:
  }

Finally, about the flicking of the L9 LED, it is also reported here and it can probably be ignored: How to update the official Arduino Wifi Shield

Good night :slight_smile:

Ludo

The Wi-Fi Shield Not Present ERROR Problem SOLVED.
It has nothing to do with needing external power it is a board revision issue.
If you are using older Arduino than R3 i.e R2 you need to follow instructions here.