Fetch: Arduino Data Acquisition/Oscilloscope (Alpha2 Release)

sbright33:
I don't understand. Can you explain this tool to someone who has never heard of it before? I tried Googling.
Please start at the beginning...

sbright, i will certainly try. Fetch is a software for Windows OS intended to help with any Arduino based project. It was released for the first time recently in this forum thread, so there will not be much on Google about it.

Sometimes during development of an Arduino project it would be nice to be able to easily visualize what is going on inside the Arduino. Fetch provides a easy to use PC interface to plot any Arduino global variable in real time. In many cases this may be a sensor input reading, or a calculated output value.

For example, let's say you wanted to make the Arduino do something like sound an alarm in response to motion detected nearby. A motion detection sensor would be connected to an Arduino analog input pin, and the Arduino would periodically read the sensor value, store it to a global variable, and respond in various ways depending on that value. In order to more easily calibrate how the Arduino responds to any nearby motion, the Fetch software would allow you to quickly see a real time plot of the sensor reading value for different types of motion detected by the Arduino. This applies to any type of sensor such as temperature, acceleration, light level, sound, voltage, current etc. Fetch helps to tune and calibrate a response to something about the physical environment.

There is more detail about how to install and use Fetch in the "Getting Started Guide" included in the zip file attached to the first post. Maybe it would help to go through that guide and try the included example sketch.

Hopefully this helps, don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.