Entry Level Oscilloscopes from Tektronix

MarkT:
My 100MHz Atten scope is a lot cheaper that the Tektronix 150MHz model - somewhat less than their 25MHz model I think. And it has 7" screen and more knobs!

I don't think Tektronix will be able to compete much at those prices.

Well with Tektronix is was never about trying to be cost competitive. I spend an adult lifetime working in industry using Tek scopes starting with huge tube based monsters in the Air Force like the 500 series. Later as a field service engineer I would roam the area with a Tek model 465 bouncing around in the trunk of a VW bug for many years, never a problem or fault with one, but I did manage to damage a probe now and then, mostly by stepping on them! Once on an 'emergency' field service request, I had to fly up to Seattle on very short notice to Boeing so ended up just checking the scope as baggage with no extra packaging protection. When I arrived and waiting on for my luggage to come down the luggage ramp I finally spotted it flipping end over end down the ramp and onto the revolving pick up section. Later on checking out the scope is was just fine, didn't miss a beat and nothing rattling around inside. :wink:

http://www.johndio.com:881/4sale/tektronix/tek465b-front.jpg

So Tek earned their reputation and premium pricing due to quality and performance delivered to hard working folks with no time for finicky or flaky test equipment. Now that all applied to the good old analog days, and I have no experience with 'digital scopes', so I have no idea if Tektronix still is a leader in quality, features and performance as it once dominated in the analog days.

Lefty