Question about L.E.D strip lights and the Arduino?

Hi
It's possible, just depends on the amount of control you want. Most LED strips that I've seen split into 5cm, 3 LED strips as you've said. Each 5cm/3LED strip can be powered individually, but each LED can't unless you hack the strip apart.
Are you planning on using 16 strips of 3-LEDs for each side?
Do you want to control the whole triangle, a side or each 5cm strip?
I'm using 2 TLC5940s to control 32 x 30cm LED strips, each 5cm strip is 20ma, so 120ma for mine, per channel. The TLC can do this just fine.
If you want exactly the same on both triangles (if using 16 x 5cm Strips controlled individually) I'd use 3 TLC5940 running 2 strips per channel, the same one from each triangle.

A way to control the LED strips is to connect all their +12s together to a +12V source, and use a ULN2003ULN2803 as a high voltage/current buffer to control their grounds from Arduino pins.
If you need more outputs, then use a TPIC6B595 shift register to combine a shift register and ULN2803 function together.

Demonic69:
Hi
It's possible, just depends on the amount of control you want. Most LED strips that I've seen split into 5cm, 3 LED strips as you've said. Each 5cm/3LED strip can be powered individually, but each LED can't unless you hack the strip apart.
Are you planning on using 16 strips of 3-LEDs for each side?
Do you want to control the whole triangle, a side or each 5cm strip?
I'm using 2 TLC5940s to control 32 x 30cm LED strips, each 5cm strip is 20ma, so 120ma for mine, per channel. The TLC can do this just fine.
If you want exactly the same on both triangles (if using 16 x 5cm Strips controlled individually) I'd use 3 TLC5940 running 2 strips per channel, the same one from each triangle.

I plan on using what would be 8 strips that are connected for one side of the triangle, 3 l.e.ds per strip, which would make the 16 inches. I would like to control the entire triangle as a whole and would like to control both triangles, so that when I turn the power on both light up, command the lights to flash then both triangles do and are completely in sync.

CrossRoads:
A way to control the LED strips is to connect all their +12s together to a +12V source, and use a ULN2003ULN2803 as a high voltage/current buffer to control their grounds from Arduino pins.
If you need more outputs, then use a TPIC6B595 shift register to combine a shift register and ULN2803 function together.

I appreciate the response, but I should have noted that I know very little about any of this XD

Okay, this is what I am talking about.
I would use 3 'channels' like this, then you can play a little with the display.

CrossRoads:
Okay, this is what I am talking about.
I would use 3 'channels' like this, then you can play a little with the display.

Great! Thanks a lot for that I appreciate it!

One more question if you don't mind. Could the second triangle be wired to the "ULN board" as well? Or would the second triangle need this same set up of its own?

Thanks again!

So you just want the triangles to flash? Not knight-rider etc?

Yes, just use 3 more outputs wired up thru the ULN2003.

Demonic69:
So you just want the triangles to flash? Not knight-rider etc?

I want them to flash, knight rider, strobe, everything

CrossRoads:
Yes, just use 3 more outputs wired up thru the ULN2003.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help! Could I pick up a universal remote or something to that degree and program it to the lights?

How would it knight-rider if you're not having individual connections?
Your options are:-
A) Control the entire triangle, all on, all off etc.
B) Control each side of the triangle
C) Control each section of the LED Strip
This can easily be replicated for both triangles by just connecting the VCC or GNDs together, depending on which method you use.

IMO, and after much research, the TLC option is much easier for the kind of setup in C) , though a little more expensive (unless you get free samples). 2 TLCs give you 32 outputs, you only need 24. As they provide PWM it's much easier to get a knight-rider effect, there are even examples built into the library to do it.
Set the resistor to 40ma, provide 12v to the strips and hook the grounds into the TLCs.
Note: You will need to separate the grounds of the LED strips and solder on some wires to connect to the TLC.
You could also use a universal remote, the IR library is very good. I managed to get 4 relays controlled for a universal remote set to Sony codes, so can't see why you couldn't cycle through some preset animations.

Demonic69:
How would it knight-rider if you're not having individual connections?
Your options are:-
A) Control the entire triangle, all on, all off etc.
B) Control each side of the triangle
C) Control each section of the LED Strip
This can easily be replicated for both triangles by just connecting the VCC or GNDs together, depending on which method you use.

IMO, and after much research, the TLC option is much easier for the kind of setup in C) , though a little more expensive (unless you get free samples). 2 TLCs give you 32 outputs, you only need 24. As they provide PWM it's much easier to get a knight-rider effect, there are even examples built into the library to do it.
Set the resistor to 40ma, provide 12v to the strips and hook the grounds into the TLCs.
Note: You will need to separate the grounds of the LED strips and solder on some wires to connect to the TLC.
You could also use a universal remote, the IR library is very good. I managed to get 4 relays controlled for a universal remote set to Sony codes, so can't see why you couldn't cycle through some preset animations.
A Multi-Protocol Infrared Remote Library for the Arduino

Ohhh I see what you are saying, I just youtubed led strip arduino knight rider and they showed some videos. Now that I think about it, none of the strips were cut they were still one strip.

I got a 5m RBG strip with a controller and power supply. I can plug it right into the wall and use the remote to change colors, make it flash, and a few more commands

Ah, you didn't mention it was one of those types of strip.
I'm assuming that you can change the colour of the whole strip with the remote, not the individual segments?
The knight-rider strips on youtube are designed that way, with smaller sections sharing a common ground or vcc.
Depending on if the strip is controlled as a whole or by segment you need to figure out if they're common anode or cathode.
So one live and a ground for each colour, or 3 lives and one ground. This changes the methods best used.
If you post up which LED strip it is we can take a look.
Have you searched on here for RGB LED strip? I'm sure there will be loads of topics on this already mate

Demonic69:
Ah, you didn't mention it was one of those types of strip.
I'm assuming that you can change the colour of the whole strip with the remote, not the individual segments?
The knight-rider strips on youtube are designed that way, with smaller sections sharing a common ground or vcc.
Depending on if the strip is controlled as a whole or by segment you need to figure out if they're common anode or cathode.
So one live and a ground for each colour, or 3 lives and one ground. This changes the methods best used.
If you post up which LED strip it is we can take a look.
Have you searched on here for RGB LED strip? I'm sure there will be loads of topics on this already mate

This is what I have:
http://www.topledlight.com/5m-50505060-smd-rgb-led-light-strip-controller-power-supply_p419.html

My plan was to cut every 16 inches and just solder wires to the "connect" points. I would assume doing this will control the whole triangle, I have not searched on here for RGB LED strip but I am about to now

Still not sure if it's common anode or cathode, what connect points do you have?
If you cut every 16" you'll be able to control 3 16" segments, can't see you getting a knight-rider out of that mate.
I'd cut and solder at least every 2", giving you 24 controllable sections, every 4" if you just wanted 2.

Demonic69:
Still not sure if it's common anode or cathode, what connect points do you have?
If you cut every 16" you'll be able to control 3 16" segments, can't see you getting a knight-rider out of that mate.
I'd cut and solder at least every 2", giving you 24 controllable sections, every 4" if you just wanted 2.

To be honest I'm not sure how you can tell? If I can't get the knight rider effect but can get it to flash, breathe, etc etc then I'll be ok with that. I see what you're saying and appreciate the advice and help.

You can tell by the markings on the strip, they'll either say 12v, R, G, B.
Or R, G, B, GND
You can get the whole thing to breathe, flash etc easily enough, you'd only need one transistor per colour for the whole thing

Demonic69:
You can tell by the markings on the strip, they'll either say 12v, R, G, B.
Or R, G, B, GND
You can get the whole thing to breathe, flash etc easily enough, you'd only need one transistor per colour for the whole thing

It says 12V, R, G, B.

I'm thinking about throwing in the towel on it, I was hoping it'd be more of a plug and play :frowning:

So try this - connect 12V to 12V, and individually ground R, G, and B. You should see each color light up.