Which connector\outlet to choose (2-3 wires)?

I need to connect temp sensor DS18B20 (parasitically powered) to my device. I'd like to have some socket to plug\unplug it. My first thought was simple headphones jack (stereo for 3 wires or mono for 2 wires). May be I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Small JST connectors might work, but be careful - some are very tight and you won't have a fun time detaching and reattaching them too often.

Thanks for the option, but jacks seems to be easier to get :slight_smile:

I've shoved a DS18S20 into the 4-pin female connector of an old CD-rom audio cable.

headphone jacks short out as they are plugged in or yanked out, just something to keep in mind

RJ11?

Yes, it seems that RJ is the winner, if jacks are shorten while plugging in\out.

RJ will probably be the cheapest; another option (more expensive, though) would be round DIN plugs/sockets (standard and mini-sized). Basically, you want to avoid concentric conductor plugs and sockets for anything carrying power. For signal-only connections, such plugs are fine (as long as the plugging/unplugging signal noise won't bother anything or can be filtered).

Basically, you want to avoid concentric conductor plugs and sockets for anything carrying power.

What is the reason for this? I've heard something about audio connectors that some of them connect ground first when plugging, others -- signals etc.

I've used a bunch of simple connectors made i believe by amp. The male part on the PC looks like this and the part on the connector wie is on the right in the pic below. They come in 2-6 pin configurations and have served me pretty well.