M.J Duino Mega 2560 not working

Hello, yesterday I finally got M.J Duino Mega 2560 (REV 3) for school purposes and it is not working.
I've checked a bunch of pages and tutorials on how to make it work.
I had to install the drivers manually - Windows 7 Unknown Device FIXED - Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum but I'm unable to make it work. Whenever I connect the arduino to the PC nothing happens, not even the leds flash, they're just both turned on. Reset button does nothing - no blink of led.
In device manager, an error pops up saying "This device cannot start. (code 10)"
I've used Mega 2560 from school (Think it was REV 2 or 1) and it was working without any problem, now my own, newer one, isn't working at all.
Tried different USB cables with no success.

So this is an unofficial ("M J Duino") mega board? What kind of USB<->serial converter does it use? Official boards use ATMega16u2, but unofficial ones use FTDI chips, counterfeit FTDI chips, or CH340G's. Make sure you've installed the correct drivers for the usb serial converter on your board.

That board has a CH340 USB to serial board. The drivers for it for Windows are here. For Linux they are included and for Mac see here.

(We sell that board and include this information in our listings... Surely people who sell stuff should include this sort of information?)

ChilliTronix:
That board has a CH340 USB to serial board. The drivers for it for Windows are here. For Linux they are included and for Mac see here.

(We sell that board and include this information in our listings... Surely people who sell stuff should include this sort of information?)

I didn't get any papers for the arduino as the school orders some of these once in a 2 months or so. Possible that there were some instructions.
The drivers seem to be right, but I'm unable to upload to the arduino anyways, I'm getting time-outted, even when trying to upload basic blink.
Only the TX LED blinks a few times.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

With the Mega unplugged, look under Tools-Port and wee what ports are available.

Then plug it in, give Windows a whole minute (On Linux it is much quicker) and check again.

If you have no new port, the drivers are not loaded. If you have a new one, that is the port the Mega is on, see what happens if you try to upload to there.

Did you try the drivers I linked to or did you get the drivers elsewhere?

ChilliTronix:
With the Mega unplugged, look under Tools-Port and wee what ports are available.

Then plug it in, give Windows a whole minute (On Linux it is much quicker) and check again.

If you have no new port, the drivers are not loaded. If you have a new one, that is the port the Mega is on, see what happens if you try to upload to there.

Did you try the drivers I linked to or did you get the drivers elsewhere?

There's no doubt that i use the right port, I always check that. Tried different ones with no success.
Yes, I did install those drivers and they seem to work, no error in device manager, it recognizes the device.

Well, I have some here, and they all work....

(That said that is on Linux but I use CH340 based devices on Linux and Windows). So I am a bit mystified.

Have you got anything connected to the board you are trying to upload to and if so what and to where?

ChilliTronix:
Have you got anything connected to the board you are trying to upload to and if so what and to where?

No, nothing connected. Just a fresh board.

Have you tried the loopback test? (See sticky at the top of the forum)

Just tried it, no message received from the board.(no response)

Hmm... Try a different USB port and a different cable...

I guess i've just understood the serial monitor wrong - it doesn't display what I send right? It only shows what I receive from the board, meaning that it won't display what i send and what i received right?
The loop-back works correctly then, I just misunderstood the serial monitor I guess..

In the loopback test it should echo what you send. So if you send "Hello" you would not normally see that back, but with the loopback on you should see it sent back and so what is typed should be echoed.

Out of interest, where did you find the drivers from?

Understood, the loop-back works correctly then.

I'm using the drivers you've sent me earlier.
In device manager, the port is being recognized as "USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM8)"

Hmm...

Does the board do anything on power up? If you have not managed to upload a sketch it should blink the red LED that is connected to pin 13.

When I connect the board to the PC both LEDs just turn on - the red ON led and a green one next to it.
When I press reset button nothing changes.

It does sound like there is something wrong with the bootloader.... You may have to get it sent back.

Yeah... It's weekend atm, I'll borrow some other M.J duino's from the school for testing if they will work.
Thanks anyways for the help. Highly appreciated.

The other thing you could try is a different PC.