Pony Serial Programmer in Arduino 1.0.3

I've been searching everywhere for help on this, but part of the problem is that virtually nobody says whether what they are describing is happening in Arduino1.X or in the pre-1.0 version of Arduino. The differences between those two are pretty big (and software incompatibility has kept me using Arduino23 (pre 1.0) for any actual work I do. That said...

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my PonySerial programmer working in the Arduino 1.0.3 IDE. I tried editing programmers.txt, but the IDE (unliked Arduino23) seems to completely ignore that info. I know, because I changed the names of the programmers and nothing changed. Evidently it is pulling its programmers.txt file from somewhere other than C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino\hardware\arduino . Argh! I'm about ready to cry. Why couldn't things work like they did under Arduino23? Part of the reason I try to stick with open source as opposed to proprietary environments is that changes tend to be evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Are you talking about ponyprog software or hardware?
I dont know if ponyprog software has direct port access, not used it in years, when at the time i was using win 98 and direct port access wasn't a problem, infact nothing was a problem with win 98 and i still use it now sometimes.
I still have a JDM programmer so it's a good excuse to get it out, although my JDM was only used for PIC's and i dont know if it would work with atmega

I don't really know what my device actually IS, I just know that it worked with this configuration in programmers.txt:

avrisp.name=Ponyserial
avrisp.communication=serial
avrisp.protocol=ponyser
avrisp.speed=19200

as you can see, it's a serial programmer. Hardware-wise, it only uses a few components:

here's the schematic:

I don't think any of that is at issue, though. The problem is that Arduino1.0.3 doesn't seem to obey the dictates of programmers.txt. I was hoping someone who has dealt with this issue could tell me what my problem is.

Don't you also have to edit the board.txt file to change the
uno.upload.protocol=arduino, so it will pass the correct info to AVRDUDE to know what programmer you want it to use?

Lefty

i would modify board.txt if i could find any info on what needed to be changed. when i did this for arduino23, all i had to do was modify programmers.txt. as things stand now, i can't use arduino1.0.3 -- which is just as well considering how much code of mine that it breaks (arduino.h, really?). but i would like to try out some libraries written by others for it.

bigfun:
i would modify board.txt if i could find any info on what needed to be changed. when i did this for arduino23, all i had to do was modify programmers.txt. as things stand now, i can't use arduino1.0.3 -- which is just as well considering how much code of mine that it breaks (arduino.h, really?). but i would like to try out some libraries written by others for it.

Well I would think you would have to change in the boards.txt file
From
uno.upload.protocol=arduino

to

uno.upload.protocol=ponyser

But of course I have no way of testing that.

Lefty

Did you already try to talk with microcontroller using the avrdude with that specific programmer?
try this in command line
avrdude -c pony-stk200 -p m328p
You could change the target CPU changing the m328p parameter

the commands in avrdude work for ponyser -- that's never been a problem. that's how i write the bootloader.