Problems with hacking Ikea Dioder

Hi, I'm trying to hack my Ikea Dioder lights with the instructions from this tutorial: Daniel Kennett - Nerd++: Controlling Dioder RGB LED Strips with Arduino, Pt. 1 - Getting Started

I have all the parts and this is how I wired everything:

As you can see I did the wiring for only one led strip to try it out, but the lights simply won't turn on. I'm using PWM ports 3, 5 and 6 on the Arduino Uno. Also the ULN2003a has lost the clarity of the text that was written on top. I know I probably shouldn't have done this, but when I flipped the ULN2003a around, the color channel in the upper corner worked, but I couldn't change the brightness. This is the test code I'm using:

const int kChannel1FirstPin = 3;
const int kChannel1SecondPin = 5;
const int kChannel1ThirdPin = 6;

void setup() {
// set pins 2 through 13 as outputs:
pinMode(kChannel1FirstPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(kChannel1SecondPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(kChannel1ThirdPin, OUTPUT);

}

void loop () {
analogWrite(kChannel1FirstPin, HIGH);
analogWrite(kChannel1SecondPin, HIGH);
analogWrite(kChannel1ThirdPin, HIGH);
}

I'm using a 12V 1000mA adapter. Since the ULN2003a has a max of 500mA, would it be possible that I fried these components?

You should never have wall power and USB power plugged in at the same time, it can damage your Arduino.

I'm using a 12V 1000mA adapter. Since the ULN2003a has a max of 500mA, would it be possible that I fried these components?

I need to see the wiring to the LEDs to make to tell you if you have or have not fried anything. Actually if you have had both wall and USB plugged in for too long, its possible you fried your Arduino.

HazardsMind:
You should never have wall power and USB power plugged in at the same time, it can damage your Arduino.

I need to see the wiring to the LEDs to make to tell you if you have or have not fried anything. Actually if you have had both wall and USB plugged in for too long, its possible you fried your Arduino.

This is the wiring to the LEDs, just like in the original blog post. With only USB I couldn't power the lights, because it needs 12V. How can I tell if I fried my Arduino? I saw that the author of the blog post did the same thing , so I thought it wasn't a big deal.

Once the arduino is programmed, you should disconnect the USB cable and just run on the AC adapter. The person in the link probably did some damage to his arduino too. Double check your wiring.

HazardsMind:

I'm surprised to read that. How will this damage anything?

PeterH:

HazardsMind:

I was always told you should never have both plugged in, that you could burn out the Atmega chip.
I don't remember who it was that told me, but since then I always stuck by it.

HazardsMind:

PeterH:

HazardsMind:

I was always told you should never have both plugged in, that you could burn out the Atmega chip.

Are you sure about that? I did a quick Google search and all other threads on this forum said it was perfectly fine. By the way, I just got back home and it started working, very weird…

Like I said, I don't remember who it was that told me, but if it works with both then I was wrong and I apologize. I never questioned it, because at the time I only had one Arduino Uno, and I did not want to risk damaging it in any way.