Burning Bootloader with SparkFun Pocket AVR : initialization failed, rc=-1

I am trying to burn the arduino bootloader to an atmega328. I am using a sparkfun Pocket AVR programmer connected to an arduino Duemilanove board through the 6 pin CSP header. I went through all of the hassle getting the drivers working for the Pocket AVR.

I open the Arduino IDE and select "Burn Bootloader -> usbTiny"
I get the following error:

"avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check."

I have seen some people online receiving this error through the command line. They fix this by using the -B option. However, I don't know how to change the programming options in the Arduino IDE. I also am not convinced that this is the proper correction to this issue.

Do you have a resonator or crystal + capacitors connected to the processor?

What did you add to programmers.txt?

I have not edited my text file.
I am using the official Duemilanove board that has the crystal and power supply. This board has a 6 pin csp header on it. I am connecting the programmer to this 6 pin header.

HighSeraphim:
I have not edited my text file.

How did you get "usbTiny" as an option under "Burn Bootloader"?

It is listed as: USBtinyISP
I am using the latest version of the Arduino IDE.
It was just there.

I am trying to burn the Arduino bootloader, not setup my IDE to use the Pocket AVR Programmer as a permanent programmer. Maybe that is the cause for the confusion?

Got it.

The SparkFun Pocket AVR has a ten pin connector. The ICSP connection on your Duemilanove is a six pin connector. What did you use to connect the programmer to the board? A cable purchased through SparkFun?

Yes. The programmer came with a cable that connects the ten pin header to the six pin connector.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825. A picture of the cable is on the right side by the product pictures.

Also, I went to this blog as a guide and I plugged the connector in the same way as his picture demonstrated.
http://www.whatartist.com/blog/2010/11/using-avr-pocket-programmer-to-burn-bootloader-to-arduino-windows-7/

Thank you for your support so far! I appreciate that somebody is willing to come to my rescue. :slight_smile:

The error message you posted ... was there more? Maybe some text above that?

You may have to make the the status window larger by clicking and dragging just below the edit window scroll-bar. The mouse pointer changes to a double-arrow.

What do the status leds do? Not the ones on the usb lines, but the blue and red one? Did you check the target-power switch?

In the height of stupid blunders, I had the header connected backwards...
I'm embarrassed.
Thank you everyone that supported me.

Thank you for follow-up. It's good to know that the connector is not keyed.

Hi,
I got this board from e-bay. The description says it has Arduino Duemilanove boot loader. But I am unable to upload sketches as my computer does not recognize the RS232 serial converter and says unknown device. By googling a bit I found that I need a driver for the cable.... and unfortunately I don't have a driver CD with me so if any-one can give me a link to download the driver I will be really great-full.......

there are positions for three jumper pins namely ISP , prog, and auto does this have any thing to do with the serial connection....

and lastly the board i bought does not have the word "Arduino" any where on it does that mean that its a clone...
plz help me....

this is the e-bay link for the board just in case..
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140509314200#ht_3896wt_1139

cbsiddharth:
Hi,
I got this board from e-bay. The description says it has Arduino Duemilanove boot loader. But I am unable to upload sketches as my computer does not recognize the RS232 serial converter and says unknown device. By googling a bit I found that I need a driver for the cable.... and unfortunately I don't have a driver CD with me so if any-one can give me a link to download the driver I will be really great-full.......

there are positions for three jumper pins namely ISP , prog, and auto does this have any thing to do with the serial connection....

and lastly the board i bought does not have the word "Arduino" any where on it does that mean that its a clone...
plz help me....

this is the e-bay link for the board just in case..
http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140509314200#ht_3896wt_1139

That board looks designed to interface directly only to a RS-232 PC comm port. Does your PC have such a 9 pin serial comm port connector? If so you shouldn't need a driver, just select the comm port number that the arduino IDE should display in the serial port menu. If your PC does not have a RS-232 9 pin comm port and you are trying to use some USB serial to RS-232 cable then you would need a USB software driver that came with the cable or found one on the web based on the USB converter chip used in the serial cable.

Lefty

You are definitely using a clone.
If it is what the description says it is, you should be ok.
The primary difference is that it does not have the USB to serial built in.
(Honestly, you may have been better off getting a standard Arduino.)

If your USB to serial cable isn't installed, you aren't going to be able to talk to the Arduino.
If you google or post the model number of your cable, we may be able to help you.

The six pin ICSP header is for programming the chip using an AVR compatible programmer. You shouldn't need to use this as you are bootstrapped with the arduino bootloader that allows you to program the chip through serial.

The five pin straight serial connector allows you to directly wire to the serial connection.
You could use a cable like this: FTDI Serial TTL-232 USB Cable : ID 70 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits you would have to check the pin-out.
Or you could go get a USB to serial cable with a more readily available driver.

Hi ,
Thanks for spending your time...This seller used the arduino name I thought it was a copyright and no one can use it so only I bought that board.
Anyways i have it now and have to make it work.... I have added the photos of the rs232 converter i tried using windows 7 does not recognize the device at all and all those drivers i tried did not work. This cable does not have any markings on it...
If any one has seen a similar kind of cable could you please send me the link to find the driver this stuff ....

Try prolific. They make most of the chips that are used inside of those cables.

I looked at the ebay post. He states that it uses the Arduino Bootloader. Which is what an actual arduino uses. You should be able to make it work.

oops! prolific drivers did not work with this cable ...

What happened to the screws that secure it?

I have 3 cables, if I remember I'll hook them up tonight and see if windows reports them as something else.

Try the test at the bottom of this link - that should work also.

If its not prolific, you can search for cables like this and see what other software is out there for download.

Or get another one. Used to see USB/RS232 adapters for <$5. Here's one for $7.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1259&bih=864&q=usb+to+rs232+adapter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5277655282308485219&sa=X&ei=N5o6TunHEafisQKi0MQc&ved=0CFIQ8gIwAw#

If it uses a common chip, just pop in a linux live-cd or usb-stick and you'll see what it is in the kernel log :wink:

A quick question. You are sure that the device isn't installed correct?
Is it showing up in device manager?
You aren't trying to upload to the Arduino clone and getting an error right?

I ask because you have to select the correct com port.