avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

using a mega1280 with ethernet shield, IDE version 1.0 from the ubuntu (12.04) repositories. I'm trying to upload a sketch and get the error (avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding), I have the correct board selected under Tools->Board, and under Tools->Serial Port , /dev/ttyUSB0 is selected. Under Tools->Programmer AVRISP mkII is selected. I see that this error message is common, but I'm not seeing solutions. I know that this board works because I tried it out on a friend's (ubuntu 11.10) machine.

I've also run the command

ls -l /dev/ttyUSB*

while the board was connected, which gives me

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jun 10 11:43 /dev/ttyUSB0

not really sure how to proceed.

Some more information would help.

• Have you used this board before?
  • With just the board, no shields, can you load one of the example sketches and see if it works
  • Are you sure you are connected to the correct serial port?
  • Does this board have an autoreset circuit? If not, resetting just before uploading may solve problem.

I've uploaded a basic sketch before using a friend's computer a week or so ago.

Without the shield I can upload a sketch. Ok, but why should that make any difference? Do I have a defective shield? What would be the easiest way to tell if it is defective?

I'm not 100% sure about the serial port, but everything I've read so far (and the fact that I can now, without a shield, upload a basic sketch) points to yes, it is the correct serial port.

It has a reset button, is that what you're asking? and after I removed the shield I didn't touch the reset button to upload the sketch.

So the board will allow you to upload a sketch when the ethernet shield is not connect, but will not when you have the shield connected? Sounds like there may be an electrical problem with the shield.

Is what I have described enough to confirm that the shield is defective, or is there another way to confirm or identify what the problem is?

Kent88:
Is what I have described enough to confirm that the shield is defective, or is there another way to confirm or identify what the problem is?

If the only difference between it working and not working is connecting the shield, then yes I would say that is pretty definitive that something is wrong with the shield. Of course it must be the only difference, ie, nothing else gets connected to the shield other than the arduino.