Arduino Yun Wifi Connectivity Problem after System Update

Hi Sir Jesse,

I hope you don't get me wrong.

1. lpestanas, you were not giving us the entire story.

So little by little, we are not going to jump to deeper analysis which will mislead if basic steps are not executed. If you were to isolate defective machine, you will consult a manual and do it step by step from the basic to complicated.

For example along the thread, some say "upload the YunSerial Reset message and let us see", and I did upload it to satisfy the information he need. It doesnt inquire to me to give a finding about "tracert", which you bring up just now. Which I did as a part of basic network connection isolation but nobody ask the question if I do so.

2) lpestanas, you are reaching for straws. Your assumptions are all wrong.

Data is different from opinion. A newbie like me more likely I call the statement to be an opinion.
Why? I follow the basic step of Ping and tracert to perform basic network isolation. Why do I "Ping"? I need to see if my network packet can reach my destination. Why do I "tracert"? to see if the node is able to complete hoping from the workstation back and forth to the router.

I do not trust assumptions as well, that's why I need to try solutions one by one and see what's the best

3) lpestanas, your network skill are lacking. You don't know enough about IP networks. You are making bad assumptions.

If you think it is lacking. A newbie like me will do the basic steps of network isolation such as Ping and tracert. Is there any more basic than these methods to see if you are connected on the network?

1. Just because several computer have similar IP numbers does NOT mean they are talking to each other. This is a rare case, but this is being caused by your networks setup - which is NOT standard.

If the USB modem/router doesnt follow the IEEE 802.11 and DHCP protocol standard.
I believe this device will not be on the market for some reason because of the international standard.
My mistake if I did forget or alter some settings on this USB modem/router to make it not working with Yun. That's why I'm gathering some expert opinions to execute it one by one if I did alter or miss something.

To summarize my concern from the start and start isolating the problem from here:

• I cannot Ping anymore the Yun after the update twice. If somebody see this problem before?
    Before it used to work on the same USB Modem/Router without any problem.

• I can see the Yun and the laptop inside the USB Modem/Router GUI
    indicating that they are on the same router, the same default configuration of DHCP.
    The view as before it used to work.

• After the update twice, this "AP Bug" message appeared on the Yun Serial terminal.
    Tried (2) new Arduino Yun out of the box. Still the same after reformatting the SD card
    using the YunDiskExpander sketch.

HOW TO FIX THIS:
1) I highly recommend you take a course in IP networking. WE CANNOT give you that education in a forum setting.

To get the status of connectivity along the same network, router and configured as DHCP by default. You can use the methods "Ping" and "tracert". Those methods you should check if you lost connection on the network. The question now, why in the normal corporate infrastructure on the (2)new Yun connects seamlessly while before the USB modem/router without altering the DHCP configutation aside form wifi encryption/password started not to work.

And inside the Arduino IDE 1.6.1, connecting to the (2)working wifi server instantly the wifi port will appear with the assigned IP address on the Serial Port. While on the USB modem/router cannot anymore.

2) Get your IT people to help you.

We are too lucky if they will assist us if we will encounter this problem. All they would do is to assign the IP Address they will give to the Yun.

3) All device that want to talk to the YUN must connect to the same AP.

I can view and assign the wifi clients to this USB Modem/Router.
Aside from the IP Address it is in tandem with the MAC Address.

4) The "routing metric" for the AP must be greater than one (1). This means it must assign all outbound traffic that metric or you will get "destination host unreachable".

Where can I see this "Routing Metric"? Does the laptop can Ping this USB Router/Modem has the AP routing metric greater than (1)? Where can I see it?
Why the new Yun out of the Box still cannot connect to this USB Router Modem by after updating and on the (2) routers can connect seamlessly?

5) There MUST be a route from the the laptop to the AP to the YUN or you will get "destination host unreachable". (This is likely your problem.).
If I am correct, you will need to use traceroute(1) to find your problem. Find it on your laptop (it maybe called troute - or similar) or download a copy.

Yes, when you tracert the IP of the Yun from the laptop assigned by the USB modem/router.
It does not complete the hops. it stated "destination host unreachable".
While the laptop can complete the hop.

So, if we are on the same router same subnet
On the other (2) network. from laptop to Yun hop is completed.
I can connect also thru SSH using the (2)network without any problem.

Lastly, I worked at a robotics company. I was in charge of customer support for WIFI. There is NO solution for this problem. Customer using HOTSPOTs in there company environment are on there own. We did not support that problem. All companies that sell IP networks have similar policies.

The concern is I want my system to be adaptable to any kind of DHCP.
Specially related to this weird USB modem/router phenomena.
We never know if I can encounter some of this kind of network config in the future deployment.
All we can do is to adapt to that network configuration and have the Yun connected with good network functionality.

Yes, If they will use DHCP configuration. The config of the USB modem/router policy is the same.
The router will assign the IP Address available along the subnet.
It will only differ the port forwarding, VLAN and additional security feature.
Regardless whether you are running linux or windows environment,
they will follow the same OSI layer, IEEE standard and TCP/IP and DHCP Protocol for all these platforms.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Leo