Occasional "Couldn't determine program size" error

Er, I guess I should have replied, instead of just adding to my last comment.

So: bump!

Great - here's what I see on Mac OS X:

ClassPath

$JAVAROOT/antlr.jar
$JAVAROOT/Arduino.jar
$JAVAROOT/oro.jar
$JAVAROOT/mrj.jar
$JAVAROOT/registry.jar
$JAVAROOT/RXTXcomm.jar
$JAVAROOT/quaqua.jar
/System/Library/Java

That's in the file:
/Applications/arduino-0015/Arduino 15.app/Contents/Info.plist

Should I add a path, or ... (I know nothing about Java) - please advise...

-jcw

Ah foo. I messed up the patch. Grab another copy.

And then change Info.plist like:

<array>
                       <string>$JAVAROOT/lib/patch</string>
                       <string>$JAVAROOT/antlr.jar</string>
                       <string>$JAVAROOT/Arduino.jar</string>
                       <string>$JAVAROOT/oro.jar</string>

Then, unzip the patch into Arduino 15.app/Contents/Resources/Java/lib/patch/

Can do - one more Q: so I end up with .../lib/patch/processing/app/Sizer.class, right?

-jcw

Correct.

Ok, done. I can confirm that without the patch, I get occasional errors when doing dozens of compiles with cmd-R (the most common one is right after starting up), whereas with your patch the problem NEVER showed up. Done many many dozens of tests and at least a dozen re-launches.

It's not conclusive, but yeay - IMO you've nailed it.

Next step: dear Mr. Mellis, please consider including this patch for 0016...

Thanks for squashing the bug (as far as I can tell - Mac OS X 10.5.6, Core 2 duo).

-jcw

Thanks for this, it fixes it for me too (8 core mac pro).

Is there any chance that you could fix the problem with errors in .h files the same way?

Details: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1235432803/0#0

Hmm. An initial naive pass at the messaging stuff in Compiler does not indicate that the same fix will address this. The output is just not there. This is not the same race condition. More debugging will have to be done. I'll try again later this week.

Can you post the source to the patch?

I think the patch is linked from post #7 in this thread.

--Phil.

I think the patch is linked from post #7 in this thread.

No, there is only a compiled java-class in the zip-file linked from there, there is no source-file for the patch.
Eberhard

I have this problem 100% of the time--it sucks. i can't get anything onto the board. Someone mentioned a patch, i tried it, but i couldn't get it working--how do you get the patch to work? does it work? i'm at a loss here--help would be much appreciated.

All I can say is: get the patch from post #7, unzip it, follow the instructions in #10, and make sure you end up with what is mentioned in #11. That's what I did, and that's what worked for me.

I'm a bit worried by @The Clever Monkey not responding for a request to provide the corresponding source code changes - I hope a solution like this does make it into the next release...

-jcw

I have this problem 100% of the time--it sucks. i can't get anything onto the board.

Are you sure you have the same problem? AFAIK when this message is occasional it shouldn't stop code being uploaded (I think).

If it's happening all the time then and no code is being uploaded there might be another issue.

--Phil.

To be sure, this annoyance will never keep a sketch from being compiled and uploaded to any device. It is merely coincidence that one is seeing the "Couldn't determine program size" message at the same time. But it is unrelated.

I haven't posted the patch because I have not had time to really look at my changes and then cook up a proper patch. I'm hoping to have some time this week to do that.

It may be that my patch is completely bogus, and I've just moved the race condition around, or made the hole smaller.

@TCM - Great, didn't want to twist your arm.

FWIW, your patch definitely succeeded in getting the race condition out of my system - I've never encountered it since then. Thanks again.

err... running windows,

this is my error message:

o: In function main': C:\DOCUME~1\Family\LOCALS~1\Temp\build25321.tmp/Temporary_8204_6203.cpp:39: undefined reference to setup'

Couldn't determine program size: C:\Documents and Settings\Family\My Documents\Arduino\arduino-0015-win\arduino-0015\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: 'C:\DOCUME~1\Family\LOCALS~1\Temp\build25321.tmp\Knight_Rider.hex': No such file

and i have no "info.plist" so... uhhh... yeah. any help with this?

You simply have a bug in your sketch. The IDE couldn't determine the program size because the compilation failed and no "program" was generated. This is not the same issue.

You're apparently missing the setup() function definition.

facepalm

(sorry for being so... inept with code. i hope this'll teach me a lesson =P )

Here it is:

Index: Sizer.java
===================================================================
--- Sizer.java      (revision 567)
+++ Sizer.java      (working copy)
@@ -57,17 +57,26 @@

commandSize[1] = buildPath + File.separator + sketchName + ".hex";

+        int rc = 0;
     try {
       exception = null;
       size = -1;
       firstLine = null;
       Process process = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(commandSize);
-      new MessageSiphon(process.getInputStream(), this);
-      new MessageSiphon(process.getErrorStream(), this);
+      MessageSiphon in = new MessageSiphon(process.getInputStream(), this);
+      MessageSiphon err = new MessageSiphon(process.getErrorStream(), this);
+
       boolean running = true;
+
       while(running) {
         try {
-          process.waitFor();
+              // Wait for the MessageSiphon threads 
+              if (in.thread != null)
+                    in.thread.join();
+              if (err.thread != null)
+                    err.thread.join();
+                  
+          rc = process.waitFor();
           running = false;
         } catch (InterruptedException intExc) { }
       }
@@ -76,7 +85,7 @@
       // some sub-class has overridden it to do so, thus we need to check for
       // it.  See: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1166589459
       exception = new RunnerException(
-        (e.toString() == null) ? e.getClass().getName() : e.toString());
+        (e.toString() == null) ? e.getClass().getName() + rc : e.toString() + rc);
     }

if (exception != null)

Thread.join() to help co-ordinate threads, though I think I still have not convinced myself that I haven't just moved the race condition to this class.

Some exception and info tweaks.

[Later]

Wait, I changed my mind. This is exactly how we can solve this problem in a highly parallelized environment. We should still mark this as a place where we can improve things with Java 5 ProcessBuilder which sidesteps all this thread output cruft.