USB monitor package to replace simple Arduino serial monitor

I've been googling around and looking a ways back in this forum for infomation on an alternative for the simple com port monitor that comes with arduino.

Something that I can set labels beside variables from the arduino. Something that will be easy to look at on my computer when I'm designing or debuggin. Not a running string of numbers. I'm sure there must be dozens of these.

Interesting idea. Maybe more like a debugger. The higher-end ides like visual studio do some of this.

I can recommend brey terminal as a more capable monitor but it is still a stream of text.

Something that I can set labels beside variables from the arduino.

Instead of having the Arduino send the labels? Why?

PaulS:

Something that I can set labels beside variables from the arduino.

Instead of having the Arduino send the labels? Why?

Consider me a beginner, even though I've played with C, C++, Basic, Fortran, and others in my distant past.

Why? With the knowledge I have all I get from the Arduino com port monitor is a scrolling mass of numbers.
I've poked around trying to find out how to format things so it's easier to read, with no success. In the 80's I used a piece of HP software that interfaced with RS485. It could be configured to format information in a nicer, human readable format. I figured 32 years later there would be something even better that would work with USB.

Google for this problem proved not to be my friend. At least with the keywords that entered my mind. So after no inspiration here I found firmata and Silverlight. So I installed a sample test project to allow my PC to access the Arduino Uno. After reading and watching videos I installed the firmata program, a serial port to socket thing a majib, and uploaded the example firmata sketch that came with the IDE. Everything went well til I tried to get the thing out of the Silverlight sandbox. Installed Visual Studio 2012
as instructed so I could change the project settings so the program could work outside the sandbox. That's where after 8 hours I decided I'd once again forgotten what it was I wanted to do, to start with. It's kind of funny after installing 8 gigs of Visual Studio just to change some settings I still am unable. hehehe I'll just go ahead and hook my LCD screen up to the Arduino and use it for the output I want to look at. At least I know how to do that. I was just trying to make use of a perfectly good PC screen in front of me and not eat several pins on the UNO. heheheh

If you know how to send the data you want to the LCD, I don't understand why you can't route the same data to the serial monitor.

dxw00d:
If you know how to send the data you want to the LCD, I don't understand why you can't route the same data to the serial monitor.

I can. It just scrolls all over hell's half acre and is a pain to look at. I suspect if I had more knowledge with formatting the data on the com monitor I could get what I want. I don't have the knowledge. I was looking for something a little easier. As usual I wasted 10 hours looking for this "easy". :slight_smile:

If you are in Windows, you can use my modded ide:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

It includes 'autoclear' in the monitor (if more than 1 second elapsed since last data) so you can add a "delay(1000);" in the moment you want to print a new screen for your outputs and keep them tidy and not lose any second (or 10 hours).

With the knowledge I have all I get from the Arduino com port monitor is a scrolling mass of numbers.

Perhaps because that is all you are sending it. You can do better. Suppose you are using a ping sensor to get a distance. Of course, the simple thing to do is:

Serial.println(distance);

and a number will appear in the Serial Monitor. On the other hand, you can do:

Serial.print("distance = ");
Serial.println(distance);

and the number will appear, after some descriptive text that describes what the value is.

That hardly seems like rocket science, or a reason for a new Serial Monitor application.

@PaulS you've obviously not tried this yourself as this will scroll too.

Yes, it scrolls. What you need to do is only send data when it is meaningful to do so. Perhaps only send distance (in Paul's example) when it changes.

Alternatively, use a terminal emulator that supports cursor movement, then you could position output as you wanted. I believe PuTTY supports VT100 control codes, and probably others.

dxw00d:
Alternatively, use a terminal emulator that supports cursor movement, then you could position output as you wanted. I believe PuTTY supports VT100 control codes, and probably others.

Bingo! This was my original question. When I use my LCD I can position the cursor. But as I said sometimes I don't want to setup a complicated hardware setup just to try out a new sensor or a new way of programming something. I've been thru several terminal emulators. None had cursor position ability. I'll give PuTTY a try next. Thanks for the suggestion.

After playing with firmata and MS Silverlight for a while I believe I could develop some really nice interfaces with the Arduino. Unfortunately I suspect for me to come up to speed on this would take a number of weeks. A rough looking terminal emulator should do fine. :slight_smile: