WiFi Shield Web Server Help

Hello,

I am trying to get my WiFi Shield to do the (slightly modified) Web Server example sketch. I get it to connect to my network just fine, but I am unable to access my Arduino's IP address through my browser. I keep getting "This webpage is not available." I have tried to forward port 80 to my Arduino's IP and did a hard reset on my router, and that changed nothing.

My Arduino is the Uno R3, the WiFi Shield is the Official WiFi Shield R3 and my modem/router (same device) is the Westell 9100VM.

Thank you for the help!

Code used:

/*
  WiFi Web Server LED Blink

A simple web server that lets you blink an LED via the web.
 This sketch will print the IP address of your WiFi Shield (once connected)
 to the Serial monitor. From there, you can open that address in a web browser
 to turn on and off the LED on pin 9.

If the IP address of your shield is yourAddress:
 http://yourAddress/H turns the LED on
 http://yourAddress/L turns it off

This example is written for a network using WPA encryption. For 
 WEP or WPA, change the Wifi.begin() call accordingly.

Circuit:
 * WiFi shield attached
 * LED attached to pin 9

created 25 Nov 2012
 by Tom Igoe
 */
#include <SPI.h>
#include <WiFi.h>

char ssid[] = "700D";      //  your network SSID (name) 
char pass[] = "WPCU_2721";   // your network password
int keyIndex = 0;                 // your network key Index number (needed only for WEP)

int status = WL_IDLE_STATUS;
WiFiServer server(80);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);      // initialize serial communication
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);      // set the LED pin mode

// check for the presence of the shield:
  if (WiFi.status() == WL_NO_SHIELD) {
    Serial.println("WiFi shield not present"); 
    while(true);        // don't continue
  } 

// attempt to connect to Wifi network:
  while ( status != WL_CONNECTED) { 
    Serial.print(F("Firmware version: "));
    Serial.println(WiFi.firmwareVersion());
    Serial.print("Attempting to connect to Network named: ");
    Serial.println(ssid);                   // print the network name (SSID);

// Connect to WPA/WPA2 network. Change this line if using open or WEP network:    
    status = WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);
    // wait 10 seconds for connection:
    delay(10000);
  } 
  server.begin();                           // start the web server on port 80
  printWifiStatus();                        // you're connected now, so print out the status
}

void loop() {
  WiFiClient client = server.available();   // listen for incoming clients

if (client) {                             // if you get a client,
    Serial.println("new client");           // print a message out the serial port
    String currentLine = "";                // make a String to hold incoming data from the client
    while (client.connected()) {            // loop while the client's connected
      if (client.available()) {             // if there's bytes to read from the client,
        char c = client.read();             // read a byte, then
        Serial.write(c);                    // print it out the serial monitor
        if (c == '\n') {                    // if the byte is a newline character

// if the current line is blank, you got two newline characters in a row.
          // that's the end of the client HTTP request, so send a response:
          if (currentLine.length() == 0) {  
            // HTTP headers always start with a response code (e.g. HTTP/1.1 200 OK)
            // and a content-type so the client knows what's coming, then a blank line:    
            client.println("HTTP/1.1 200 OK");
            client.println("Content-type:text/html");
            client.println();

// the content of the HTTP response follows the header:
            client.print("Click <a href=\"/H\">here</a> turn the LED on pin 9 on
");
            client.print("Click <a href=\"/L\">here</a> turn the LED on pin 9 off
");

// The HTTP response ends with another blank line:
            client.println();
            // break out of the while loop:
            break;         
          } 
          else {      // if you got a newline, then clear currentLine:
            currentLine = "";
          }
        }     
        else if (c != '\r') {    // if you got anything else but a carriage return character,
          currentLine += c;      // add it to the end of the currentLine
        }

// Check to see if the client request was "GET /H" or "GET /L":
        if (currentLine.endsWith("GET /H")) {
          digitalWrite(9, HIGH);               // GET /H turns the LED on
        }
        if (currentLine.endsWith("GET /L")) {
          digitalWrite(9, LOW);                // GET /L turns the LED off
        }
      }
    }
    // close the connection:
    client.stop();
    Serial.println("client disonnected");
  }
}

void printWifiStatus() {
  // print the SSID of the network you're attached to:
  Serial.print("SSID: ");
  Serial.println(WiFi.SSID());

// print your WiFi shield's IP address:
  IPAddress ip = WiFi.localIP();
  Serial.print("IP Address: ");
  Serial.println(ip);

// print the received signal strength:
  long rssi = WiFi.RSSI();
  Serial.print("signal strength (RSSI):");
  Serial.print(rssi);
  Serial.println(" dBm");
  // print where to go in a browser:
  Serial.print("To see this page in action, open a browser to http://");
  Serial.println(ip);
}

What is the IP of the computer that gives you the "unavailable" message? Is it connected to the same router as the WiFi shield?

The IP address of the PC I am using is 192.168.200.100. It is wired to the same router as the WiFi Shield.

I downloaded you code and changed only the ssid and passphrase. It worked fine. It controls the LED on the wifi shield as advertised.

It must be a setting in your router.

I would agree with that, with what I have read elsewhere. I was reading about having port 80 forwarded to the Arduino. Is there anything else I need to do, or do you have that set up on your router for it to work?

You do not need to port forward port 80 to access the Arduino from a localnet. Any device on that router with a 192.168.200.x IP should be able to access the Arduino wifi server.

I have 3 networks on my router, and any device on any of the router localnets can connect to the server.

Even my cellphone connected to the same wifi network connects and accesses the server.

I am wondering if the problem might be that the router that I use is also my modem? I am getting a new router Sunday, so I will try again after I set that up.

SurferTim:
You do not need to port forward port 80 to access the Arduino from a localnet. Any device on that router with a 192.168.200.x IP should be able to access the Arduino wifi server.

I have 3 networks on my router, and any device on any of the router localnets can connect to the server.

Even my cellphone connected to the same wifi network connects and accesses the server.

Well, I went up to MicroCenter and bought a new WiFi Shield. It worked properly right out of the box. What is the Firmware version of the WiFi Shield you are using? I am wondering if that is my issue. The firmware version of the WiFi Shield I just bought it 1.0.0. The version on the one I was using earlier is 1.1.0.

I use firmware v1.1.0. That requires IDE v1.0.4 or later. I use IDE v1.0.5 now.

If you stay with firmware v1.0.0. you must use IDE v1.0.3 or earlier.

How do I find what IDE I am using? I went to "About" in my Arduino program, and it says 1.0.6. Is that my IDE version?

Each version has a unique title bar. That is the bar at the top of the IDE window. Mine says "Arduino 1.0.5". Yours should have "Arduino 1.0.6".

Ok. That confuses me more about my problem then. My 1.0.6 works with a WiFi Shield that has firmware 1.0.0, but not with a Shield that has firmware 1.1.0. Shouldn't that be the opposite?

Thank you again for all your help.

It should be, but I have not checked the server part of the wifi shield with the old firmware version. The client section of the wifi library will not connect to a server due to the pass/fail return value from the firmware being different. Actually, I think it does connect, but the return value for success is interpreted as fail.