Capacitive Sensor No Output

xaviergoh:
Maybe I will post a photo of it when I get back.

Not maybe, please post photos.

Yep, of course. I will post once I get back home after school.

My connections :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Are you putting strip-twisted wires in those pins? That red wire looks a little iffy to me, make sure all the wires have a solid connection.

Yep, twisted wires, cant find a place to purchase those pin wire. the connections are good, previously I had used a set of different wires. Didnt get any response either. If connection is fine, what are the possible causes?

One if not both boards may be defective. If you have a soldering iron handy, you can coat the wires and that should give you a better connection.

I juz tested the connections with multimeter. They are fine. Is there any way to proof/verify the boards are defective? I am not sure if I could get a replacement/refund for it :frowning:

No way I know of. I could be a software bug, or the boards. Try to get in touch with seller and see if they had any simular issues in the past, and if there are any solutions.

I have changed to pin cable today :

After my enquiry, the seller updated their library on their site , but after trying the new library, there is no response at the output either.
My guess is that it could highly be the MPR121 breakout board that is faulty, but shall wait for seller to reply again.

If you have a magnifier, look carefully at the soldering job under the magnifier. There might be some problems you can identify.

I wonder if you need to cross the SDA and SCL lines? Try swapping the orange and yellow wires.

HazardsMind:
I wonder if you need to cross the SDA and SCL lines? Try swapping the orange and yellow wires.

I think his connection is right:

They most likey are, but I just wanted to rule it out. I've never had one myself, so I don't know if there is any special ways of debugging it, other than the normal methods.

New findings, I tried the dimmerLEB code and tried shorting the pins directly, I do get an output(-1).

Not sure whether this serves any purpose, but other than the "dimmerLED" code, the other 3 codes does not provide an output even with the pin directly shorted.

The site you linked to describes it as a 5V device and the diagrams clearly show a UNO being used, but the sample code refers to a 3.3V Arduino Pro Mini. I wonder whether the supply voltage requirements have changed, and what the actual voltage requirement for your board is?

Finally I am getting output now, HazardMinds was right, the A4 and A5 should swap. Took me much time to resolve this minor mistake. -.-"

Really appreciate all the help given!

Btw, for the touchpad, I am able to get reading of the X - Y coordinates as output.

If I wish to use it as a mouse pad, to control the computer mouse, how do I go about doing that so that the computer detect the arduino as a mouse peripheral .

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/MouseKeyboard

Can Uno perform the above function? It is not listed inside

xaviergoh:
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/MouseKeyboard

Can Uno perform the above function? It is not listed inside

No, only leo, due and micro as stated.

xaviergoh:
Finally I am getting output now, HazardMinds was right, the A4 and A5 should swap. Took me much time to resolve this minor mistake. -.-"

Really appreciate all the help given!

Btw, for the touchpad, I am able to get reading of the X - Y coordinates as output.

If I wish to use it as a mouse pad, to control the computer mouse, how do I go about doing that so that the computer detect the arduino as a mouse peripheral .

Strange. Maybe their diagram is wrong. You did it by the diagram but still after swapping scl sda you go data? Anyway, good for you.

Yup, I swapped the SCL and SDA, it was later confirmed by seller too. They are going to update the wiki page soon.

Thanks for suggestion!

Now I am thinking how to implement USB-HID to use as mouse.
I would need to come out with a bigger sensor board with multi touch gesture function.