USB Serial Baud Rates? ... or other faster USB communication methods?

Has anybody tested the what USB serial baud rates/speeds are achievable using a standard virtual COM port on a computer? How fast can this board go in practice??

I am hoping there will be improvements on the standard Arduino due to the faster processor...

Are there any other options for faster communication by using alternatives to a virtual COM port? What is the best data rate achievable (using any approach?)

Thanks

This is not perfect test but increased the speed with Arduino Due programming port 57600-->115200 --> 230400 and errors started to appear
with 230400 bits/s,

but I do not know about Native port , though , since have not succeeded to install the driver yet, somebody else might know about this ?

with Arduino Mega I could use 230400 and even 460800 but with 460800 some errors started to appear but momentarily,

but like I said these are unofficial tests , since the result depends also on the code of the serial communication and
how often you do Serial.flush();
BR,
Seppo

I have worked with an UNO at 500K - which is 1/32 of the clock - where 460800 is 1/34.7222 so not a nice divider of the clock. This causes errors.

So I don't know the speed of the DUE but by taking a integer divider you should be able to get higher than the standard speed, with reasonable reliability.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I should have mentioned that I can get 500,000 on a standard Arduino Mega 1280 reliably... Has anyone else got experience with fast communication with the new more powerful due?

Hello-
I am using a Due connected to a processing program and I'm using 1843200 baud which is working nicely. I am pretty sure this limitation is in Processing. (Java). If I try to go faster I get a Java error. But, it's working fine at this speed.

=Rich

By the way that is on the USB port, not the programming port, using SerialUSB. I have the developer version of the Due and there is no programmer port.

This can probably go much faster and I'd like to but I have to use processing this time and that's the limit.

=Rich

rmortyh:
Hello-
I am using a Due connected to a processing program and I'm using 1843200 baud which is working nicely. I am pretty sure this limitation is in Processing. (Java). If I try to go faster I get a Java error. But, it's working fine at this speed.

=Rich

I somehow doubt this incredible number unless there is a typo with some extra '0' digit.
It seems there is no confirmed specification on this subject, so maximum stable speed is sort of 'gray area'.
I can get transmit rate of 250000 (Putty)

1843200 baud

the due with its 84 MHz clock should be able to send at this rate, but for the receiving end it means ~184K interrupts per second that data is received. or 5 uSec to handle one. That might be the real bottleneck.

I did some speed tests on the native port. The short version: it's fast... :wink:

The long version is here:

Chendy:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I should have mentioned that I can get 500,000 on a standard Arduino Mega 1280 reliably... Has anyone else got experience with fast communication with the new more powerful due?

Hi Chendy,

Are you sure? I tested 500,000 on my Arduino Uno Rev 3, and it got errors from time to time. In fact, if I test 200,000 for 120 seconds, there is error popping up too.

The highest rate w/o error seem to be actually 115,200 - which is the standard... Interesting.