Power supply for my LED modules

There doent seem to be a datasheet for them but here are the items http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Boat-30-LED-White-Superflux-Light-6-Module-String-/280721768121?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415c523eb9.

Sorry, I think they are in series? They are already connected in a string and yes I wan them all them all to come on simultaneously.

P.s. How do I draw a diagram? Just use a basic art package?

I should say connected in a continuous chain, one after the other.

Does this help?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Paul

If you put 12V on the end of 1 string, do you have 12V on the other end too? That would tell us the strings are all wired up in parallel, so you need 12V & about 500mA of current.
6W/12V = 500mA.

I checked your ebay source. 12 volts at 6 Watts means 500 ma of current is needed (MAX). You have 6 modules with 5 leds each so thats 30 leds. 0.2 Watts per led. It would seem from the pictures that the leds are wired in parralel, meaning that they all get 12 volts and fight over amps. So voltage dropping isn't a problem. 0.2 watts/12volts gets you 16mA.

So if you're going to power all six, then you need 12 volts at no more than 500ma. If you're going to power one module, you need 12 volts at no more than 83 mA. If you're going to power one LED you need 12 volts at no more than 16mA.

EDIT: see next post.

-Catcher

For your 12 volt 700mA power supply, i would just use a 20 ohm resistor or greater. i would use 100 ohm just to be safe.

V=IR
P=VI

What are you saying? No need for any external resistors, that would only hurt by lowering the applied voltage to the modules. The modules are designed to be wired to a constant 12vdc voltage. The modules take care of current limiting for the leds inside the modules. A 12vdc @ 700ma power supply should power all the modules.

Lefty

Catcher,
I think the Piranha LED are already wired in series within the module with a resister, as Piranha LEDs drop 2 to 2.5V each.

KE7GKP:
We're all just wasting our time shooting in the dark without any definitive information about the mystery LED modules.

Well the OP did link to where he bought them, and from the description given there, it seems a pretty simple wiring job to me, 12vdc to as many modules that you want to string together.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Boat-30-LED-White-Superflux-Light-6-Module-String-/280721768121?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415c523eb9

retrolefty:

KE7GKP:
We're all just wasting our time shooting in the dark without any definitive information about the mystery LED modules.

Well the OP did link to where he bought them, and from the description given there, it seems a pretty simple wiring job to me, 12vdc to as many modules that you want to string together.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Boat-30-LED-White-Superflux-Light-6-Module-String-/280721768121?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415c523eb9

WOW, Thanks for the responeses guy & maybe it wasnt as stupid question as I thought.

They came prewired in the string of 6.
"I checked your ebay source. 12 volts at 6 Watts means 500 ma of current is needed MAX" + "For your 12 volt 700mA power supply, i would just use a 20 ohm resistor or greater. i would use 100 ohm just to be safe."
So adding a resistor will "draw down" (bad terminology?) the 700mA to under 600mA making it safe for the lights?
Will a standard 1/4 100ohm resistor be ok? Also, I just wire it in between power supply & 1st module?

Again massive thanks, I',m trying to read as much as I can but just couldnt find a direct answer to these questions & dont really wanna start a fire (or electrocute myslef) or anything ;-).

Also sorry my camera isnt working otherwise I could just post decent pics!

I also have a digital Multimeter (still dont really know what im doing with that either!0 :cold_sweat:
but when I connect it at either end of the string/lights on 200ohm I get a read out of 00.8 wether connected to pos/pos or neg/neg.

Paul.

I also know you can string more of these together on with a 12vDV power supply.

"They came prewired in the string of 6. "
I believe you can just hook them up to 12V then, and they will draw about 500mA of current.
Adding a resister in series will only reduce the available voltage and then they might be dimmer, or might not all turn on.

So adding a resistor will "draw down" (bad terminology?) the 700mA to under 600mA making it safe for the lights?
Will a standard 1/4 100ohm resistor be ok? Also, I just wire it in between power supply & 1st module?

Forget the resistor, not needed, will only hurt. The modules will draw what current the require and no more. You could use a 12vdc power supply rated at 12 thousand amps and still only 600 ma would be drawn from the supply. At your home your typical AC power outlet is rated at up to 12 amps but you can still power a little 7 watt lamp, right?
The 12vdc power source just must be rated for at least 600ma, a little more (1 amp) give the power supply a little breathing space, got it?

Lefty

Thanks guys makes sense, and glad I asked.

The other end of the chain will connect to nothing so if I just "cap" them off?

I will test them now, see what happens & post the result.

As a matter interest, how would you burn the LED's out? Over voltage?

Thanks again for your time & patience guys.

Yes, overvoltage would lead to increased current, leading to overheating & burning up.

The other end of the chain will connect to nothing so if I just "cap" them off?

Yes, either cut them short and tape them off, or coil and tape. Just don't let bare ends touch each other.

Lefty

And he said "let there be light" :smiley:

Thanks guys, I know it was simple thing but im still scared of electricity & didnt wanna waste the lights.
Now I can lgo earn how to use my Arduino to control them with PWM :wink:

I've also learnt (after reading many times), that its not good to look directly into a lit LED :0

"use my Arduino to control them with PWM "

For that you'll need a transistor to do the switching.
If you use a part like ULN2003 to control the connection from the -pin to ground, there are 6 PWM outputs on an arduino and you can individually PWM all of the modules.

Thanks for that info CrossRoads............... More learning/info taken in.
After some research I found this response from a "Lefty" to a similar question.

"You can just use a simple NPN power transistor to switch all those led assemblies at the same time. Either just with on and off commands using digitalWrite() commands or vary the brightness by using a PWM supported output pin and using the analogWrite(pin, value) command. A TIP120 is a cheap popular choice of switching transistor. Wire it's emitter to ground, it's base wired to a series 500-1k ohm resistor with the other end of the resistor wired to the output pin. Wire all the +12vdc wires of the led assemblies together and then to your 12vdc source voltage. Then wire all the - leads of the led assemblies together and then wire it to the collector of the transistor. Finally run a wire from arduino ground pin to the - terminal of your +12vdc power source. The power source must be rated for the total current of all the led assemblies totaled"

Is this the same in my case, if i left them as one string? I have some TIP120's that I brought with my Arduino and other bits. I also have some salvaged TIP121's.

Cheers

P.

Great! The project is 600mA at the mo. It will go upto 1.2A in total. I'm just trying to get basic parts of a project together so I can then hit the coding side of things, then look to put it together in a more permanent/robust way.

I find learning much easier when I'm doing something wanted/needed with it.

P.